ESPN's Rob Parker On RGIII: 'Is He A Brother Or Is He A Cornball Brother?'

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by SRW, Dec 13, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Robert Griffin II said he isn't taking offense with disparaging racial comments made by an ESPN First Take commentator Thursday, because "it's not going to benefit" anyone.

Earlier in the day, during the show, commentator Rob Parker, who is black, had questioned Robert Griffin III's authenticity by asking, "Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother?" Parker then continued his criticism of the Washington Redskins rookie quarterback:

"He's not real. OK, he's black, he kind of does the thing, but he's not really down with the cause," Parker said. "He's not one of us. He's kind of black, but he's not really, like, the guy you want to hang out with because he's off to something else.

"We all know he has a white fiancee. There was all this talk about how he's a Republican ... Tiger Woods was like, 'I've got black skin but don't call me black.'"

Griffin II told USA TODAY Sports he was baffled by the comments but wouldn't fire back Thursday night, even though Parker's remarks ignited the blogosphere and sparked angry social media responses. A few minutes later after his father spoke, Griffin III tweeted to supporters: "I'm thankful for a lot of things in life and one of those things is your support. Thank you."

ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys told USA TODAY Sports that Parker's comments "were inappropriate and we are evaluating our next steps."

Source: USA Today

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Holy crap. What an butthole. Don't be your own person, be who we want you to be. Parker's an idiot.

3. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

i caught it right away when he said it hes so freaking ignorant he should be fired cause hes not smart enough to be on my tv.

4. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

This is hella racist. Just because your skintone is brown/black that doesn't mean you have to be "hood".

5. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

word lol

6. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

White dude says anything like this he's been fired since the moment he said it. FIRE THE FREAKER. ESPN is a joke of a channel. Between Stephen A Smith, Jemell Hill and this c**k, it's racist central.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

QFT.

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

wow, this is not cool. parker is an idiot

9. Stinger75

Stinger75 It's Showtime, Folks!

Today's media... Anything to stir the pot, and get ratings.

Gone are the days of true journalism. The people in this idiocracy land don't read/watch true journalism anymore... Hell me posting on this forum proves my point.

10. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I was baffled myself, but watch the clip and you'll see Stephen A. actually becomes the voice of reason in this.

Maybe he doesn't get fired, but I'd be surprised if he makes too many more appearances on that show. This was downright terrible and I don't know what the hell he was thinking making that argument and bringing that crap up.

Even once he got going, producers or one of the other people there should have gotten him off the topic. If I was the guy in their booth, I would've been going nuts to try to get this idiot to stfu.

11. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

That's an oversimplification, and I'd say people looking in places like this for "true journalism" is the bigger problem.

There are still many fine reporters and writers who do great work, but a lot of it gets lost in all the other garbage. You're right about ratings, but I've never put a lot of faith in broadcast news/journalism anyway.

12. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

If being a Black QB is about emulating the actions of Michael Vick, Cam Newton and co. then Rob Parker should re-evaluate his opinions.

Too bad he'll be unemployed before he can do that.

13. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

You would think somebody with a head that damn big would be a little smarter.
    He might be more of a cornball than RGIII.

14. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I don't even know where to begin.

'We all know he isn't one of us.'

'He has a white fiancee.'

Sigh. I'm guessing his only intention with this crap was to make headlines and get his name out there.

15. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Wonder if they'll oust him like they did Rush for his McNabb comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. CaptainStubing

espn has suspended him

17. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Where's the backlash from the black community

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Where's the backlash from everybody? I can just picture what would be happening if this was a white guy asking about a white quarterback who "acts black." The racial hypocrisy in this country is incredible.

19. CaptainStubing

there HAS been a backlash and espn has been forced to suspend him and may end up firing him. not sure what else you guys want done ............. we can't throw him in jail for this.

20. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

for shame on espn.
    for freaking shame