Falcons LB Brian Banks Feels He'll Eventually Become An NFL Starter

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by DCoach_R, Apr 9, 2013.

1. DCoach_R

DCoach_R Special Teamer

Brian Banks got his dream of an NFL career back when he was signed by the Atlanta Falcons last week. Banks lost 10 years of his football career over a crime he didn't commit, but the Falcons believe he can contribute.

"I'm well aware of what people think about this," Banks told SI.com's Peter King in a Tuesday story. "That's not something I can control. All I know is I have been given a chance. As coach (Mike) Smith and Mr. Dimitroff told me, 'We didn't bring you here for nothing. There's no reason for us to bring you in, unless we think you have a chance to help us.'

"But when people say I really don't have a chance, it fuels me. I do have to cover some ground, but what I'm happy about right now is that even though I am 27, I'm a young 27."

After he was exonerated on rape and kidnap charges last year, Banks worked out for five teams without receiving a contract offer. He needed to get into football shape, which he did by working out with Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga and other players.

"When you've been through 10 years of hell, and you get a chance to fulfill your dream, you're not going to take that lightly," Banks said. "After working out with these guys this offseason, I believe in myself as a player even more. I truly believe I will make a 53-man roster. I believe I will play. And I believe eventually I will start."

Source: NFL.com

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  2. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

I'm rooting for him to succeed.