Fitzgerald To Stay A Card

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by markaz, Feb 18, 2015.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

There's been multiple reports that Fitz and the Cards are on the verge of a new that would Keep Fitz in the desert. Just heard on the radio that it's official. Details will be out shortly.

Other than Tom Brady I can't think of another that would bite the bullet like Fitz had to do to stay with the same organization and clear up $13 million in cap space in the process. Looking forward to Fitz's rationalization of why he decided to stay.

2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Meh he's finito.

Jihad Joe likes this.
  3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Maybe he didn't. Maybe they extended him, with more guaranteed money and a backloaded deal?

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

It doesn't make sense for either Fitz or the Cards. They still could've received something good in return, maybe a 2nd round pick? And Fitz could have got a better deal with up front guaranteed money. It would be nice to get the full details of the contract.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

The Cardinals star wide receiver agreed to "essentially" a two-year contract Wednesday to stay with the only team he's played for.

Cardinals general manager Steve Keim announced the deal Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, saying "we're finished."

Keim did not disclose financial details. Fitzgerald will receive $22 million in guaranteed money over the course of the new contract, according to ESPN sources and multiple reports.

Fitzgerald was due to earn $16.25 million with a $23.6 million cap hit in 2015, making his contract one of the Cardinals' top offseason priorities.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12341629&src=desktop&ex_cid=sportscenterTW

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

@adbrandt: New Fitzgerald deal is $22M/two years (w/2 years added for Cap proration) fully guaranteed. Goes from $31M non-gteed to $22M gteed.

7. markaz

I love the comment made in the article:
    When you consider the high level of QB play that the Cards have had (prior to Carson Palmer and after he got injured) it's a wonder any WR on the Cards had more than 500 yards. Last year, Palmer's first year, Fitz was only 38 yards short of the magical 1,000 yard mark and the combo was doing well until Palmer went down this past season.

I agree with what @TJ had to say. I was certain he'd be gone. Fitz still has a lot of game and basically he did everyone a favor by agreeing to this. Money or no money, one thing that's never really talked about is how much Fitz absolutely loves living here.

8. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

still one of the top 3 wr's in the game.a sure 1st ballott hall of famer.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Top 3? I don't think so.

Jihad Joe likes this.
  10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Def one of the top 3 WRs on his team.

ICECOLD, Jihad Joe and Walnuts like this.
  11. markaz

It's hard to gauge Fitz with the likes of Kevin Kolb, Matt Leinart, Ryan Lindley, John Skelton and every other Bozo the QB having littered Fitz's resume.

86WARD likes this.
  12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Palmer is nothing but good for Fitzgerald.

13. markaz

Realistically, I wouldn't put him in the top 3 based upon stats. But I would certainly pick Fitz for a my fantasy team next year. Very good chance with Palmer returning and Fitz staying they could do some real damage in a revitalized year. If I'm Palmer I'm asking Ariens and the OC to move Fitz back to the outside vs. being a slot receiver like he was last year.

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Got any open spots in your league?

ICECOLD and 86WARD like this.
  15. 86WARD

86WARD -

16. markaz

I'm saving your post just on the off chance..............