From Draft Day To Rookie Camp!

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bills' started by Mike, May 10, 2008.

1. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

The rookie has two bags, an MP3 player and a ticket he's eyeballing like a straight-flush poker hand. He fetches a ride with his girlfriend, because his old green clunker died months ago. She tells him she loves him, and that she'll see him in three days. They know, as they say goodbye in a crowded hallway near the security gate, that his life is about to change. It's just the way Xavier Omon always wanted it. As a sophomore at Beatrice High School in southeastern Nebraska, he told a handful of people -- only the ones he trusted -- that someday he'd be an NFL running back. But life, for the first 23 years at least, has been far less hopeful. He was 8 when his brother was killed by a drunken driver; he was 14 when another brother committed suicide. Division I football snubbed him, recognition eluded him, but none of that matters now because Omon is holding a plane ticket to rookie camp. He's dressed in gray pants and an Ecko sweatshirt. He knows it's the fanciest outfit he'll need for his first week in the NFL.

Everything else is a mystery. He fidgets in the terminal and pops his head up every time a flight announcement is made. He's nervous. He knows he's in good shape, but is it NFL shape?
    Omon's row is called, and he walks briskly to the door. His eyes do not turn back. "I'm 23 years old, and I've never even been to a wedding before," he says. "I've been to five funerals and no weddings. So much bad stuff has happened in my life, stuff that is so big, and then this comes along. Something really nice has finally happened."

READ MORE

2. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

i have been following this kid for some time and he has awesome big play ability. I was hoping he would go somewhere where he could play, but he is buried on the depth chart in Buffalo. I thought he would have been great for Cleveland. I'm rooting for Xavier