German Goalkeeper Enke Killed By Train In Suspected Suicide

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by L.Johnson #27, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I don't think he could control it at the end and that lead to his suicide

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

I'm not a big soccer fan and didn't really follow it. When I was a boy, I visit a couple of games of the 2 Bundelsliga teams which are close to my home, Eintracht Frankfurt and Kickers Offenbach.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Just curious who here has kids & who doesn't. Wondering what direction some of the opinions come from...

3. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

I have a son (he will be 3 on Dec. 15th) and a 16yo step son.

4. cris80

cris80 comic relief

I have 2 daughters, 8 and 4.

5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

2 girls, ages 22 & 25

Hell, we're all saying the same thing that IS the most important......the wife and kids are the most affected. That he placed himself ahead of that just sucks. Coward, mentally ill, depressed or whatever we want to assign to this guy is in the end a trajedy.

cris80: "You must spread rep, blah, blah" for the cowardice def to support your opinion.

6. cris80

cris80 comic relief

Thanks. I'm not trying to be a ball-busting d-bag or anything like that. I just can't imagine anyone abandoning their family to go through life on their own. Life IS tough, and we need to be there for our family when they need us, and to lean on them when we need them.

7. SoDev

:word:

8. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I have a 9 year old daughter.

9. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

A few strong opinions here...

A tragedy without a doubt. However, Enke had been battling depression even before the death of his child. While it's fairly certain that event pushed him over the edge, he had been previously under doctors care for this.

Depression can be a lot more than just feeling down. It can alter a person's thinking to a point of irrational behavior. I wouldn't see it as a case of cowardice but a mental issue.

What is Clinical Depression?

A selfish act? Yes, suicide always is but he was being hailed as a great guy, generous, respectful to others & a top class sportsman. It's obvious that there was a profound impact from his depression. Besides that, he took on that onrushing train 'challenge' pretty decisively.

1 person likes this.
  10. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

This is how I feel about this too.

His wife Teresa gave a very emotional speach 3 days ago. I don't think she look as him as a coward

11. SoDev

It seems we are discussing semantics at this point... or all along.

Millions of people live with extreme amounts of depression. It doesn't make you a victim, nor does killing yourself.

12. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

We all handle crap differently and have different crap that take pplace in our lives. If somebody wants to kill himself than who the fuk am I to judge, I don't know his life story I don't know what haunts him, what keeps him up at night, what holds him back. Yeah it's tragic for the family they leave behind but life goes on.