Gretzky Steps Down As Coyotes Coach

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by markaz, Sep 24, 2009.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Wayne Gretzky's tenure as coach of the Phoenix Coyotes, a period marked largely by on-ice futility, ended abruptly Thursday when the "Great One" announced he would be stepping down amid the financial turmoil surrounding the team.

The Coyotes hired former Dallas Stars coach Dave Tippett hours after Gretzky announced his departure, which had been rumored as the bankruptcy court battle between Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie and the NHL over the sale of the team dragged on.
    ESPN

2. Banyaaz

Banyaaz Video Drone

thank god he's gone! NHL said earlier if they got the team...he wouldn't stay...I think this means alot....and they won't leave Glendale...too much $ involved

3. L.Johnson #27

L.Johnson #27 C-H-I-E-F-S - G-A-L-A-X-Y

Crap franchise !

4. SweetShot03

SweetShot03 Fuck stupid people

I thought he traded in his hockey stick for a walking stick?

5. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

:qft:

let them move to Hamilton already

6. markaz

Ice hockey in the desert = failure.

7. L.Johnson #27

hockey in florida = same crap

8. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Teams that need to go: Florida, Tampa Bay, Phoenix, Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville

Replace them with: Hamilton, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, St. Paul, Portland, Seattle

Seriously, I'll never know why the NHL thought it was a good idea to rip teams out of the heartland of hockey and stick it in places where they couldn't give a flying heck.

9. L.Johnson #27

why Dallas ? :icon_confused:

no one wants to go to canada ^^ because the canadien dollar is crapty.

oh yeah and the heartland of hockey is russia :icon_cool::icon_cheesygrin::icon_smile:

10. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

:icon_cheesygrin: The Official Web Site - Minnesota Wild

I agree with you though. Once hockey invaded markets that couldn't care less, it ruined the sport. Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Raleigh, Dallas, Phoenix, Anaheim, Columbus all don't deserve teams.

Screw Dallas for winning the cup in 1999 btw.

11. markaz

It's not that those cities don't deserve them, those cities don't want them. The NHL and its owner are trying to force feed love for a sport that those areas don't care about. Somewhat like the most popular sport in the world, soccer. For the most part, the USA doesn't give a crap. Yet,..............

12. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

I thought the Blue Jackets were doing okay in Columbus? And I don't think Raleigh shouldn't have a team, the Hurricanes are one of the best supported teams in the NHL.

13. Banyaaz

Banyaaz Video Drone

anyone actually want to show a little bit of support twoards the Phoenix Coyotes?? Crap, every board i post on...the first response I get is.."go to Canada"...well opening night is..almost SOLD OUT!...suck on that Bassile....I don't get it...they need marketing, and with a new coaching staff, and the young talent...they could (i think will) make the playoffs...go coyotes