Holliday Traded To Oakland

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by AlexOvechkin, Nov 10, 2008.

1. AlexOvechkin

AlexOvechkin World Champions 2008!!!

Matt Holliday appears headed to the Oakland Athletics in a deal with the Colorado Rockies, baseball sources have told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick and Buster Olney.

Final details are being finalized, though the teams have agreed to terms, a baseball source told Olney. The source said the deal may not be finalized for up to 48 hours.

Holliday appears headed to A's in trade from Colorado

This deal needs to be finalized, but according to sources it's done.

2. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

congrats on getting out of the rockies

3. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Possibly Carlos Gonzalez and Huston Street are apart of this deal. I'm not a huge fan of this, Oakland ball park is like the opposite of the Rockies.

4. AlexOvechkin

I don't know what to say about that deal.

I'd love to see him in Philly, but I guess we had to give up too much.

5. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Yup looks like the A's did give up 3 players, Huston Street, Greg Smith, and Carlos Gonzalez. They definitely did give up too much, this deal is better than what Saint Lewis were offering.

6. AlexOvechkin

Yes definitely too much!

Good deal Rockies.

7. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Very odd deal. This is the exact opposite of a Billy Beane trade. I do believe Huston Street is overrated, but Gonzalez is going to be a stud. Smith will be a back of the rotation starter at best.

My only guess is that Beane is using this as a way to get around not being able to trade for draft picks. He wants those comp picks that Holliday is going to get them, because there is no way the A's lock Matt up for what Boras is asking.

Now the Marlins have traded Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham for Emilio Bonifacio and two A ball prospects.

8. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

I'm glad this is over, imo. I was concerned about losing Victorino and I honestly don't think it would have been worth it just for Holliday. If all else fails, shift Werth to left & keep Jenks in right plus we always have Stairs.

9. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

25 Home Runs for Holliday... OVER OR UNDER!?

Going to be tough going from one of the easiest ballparks to hit em out to one of the toughest. I don't even think they had a hitter over .300 this past season.

10. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

Over 25.....Coors field is huge, sure the air's thinner but they've got the humidor......I personally think Colorado gave him away. If they think Huston Street will do anything except get whiplash then they're idiots. Sure Gonzales will be good, when? Who knows? Will he be MVP caliber....and like burnout said, Smith is a #5 at best or a middle reliever.

11. youstolethatball

youstolethatball beer belly budda

I have to agree with some of what Burnout said in that Street isn't throwing like he was a couple of years back. In fact he really blew some major opportunities for us this year. And Smith isn't a huge loss at all, I don't really like Gonzalos going away thouth. I think Beane is going to get rid of Holiday for either some young talent coming out of a farm system and maybe some decent position players who can fill in some temporary gaps. This is really just another fine example of talent speeding through the east bay on their way to greater things somewhere else.

12. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Street has been officially traded to the Rockies as a part of the four-player swap that sent Matt Holiday to Oakland, the Associated Press reports.
    SOURCE: YAHOO SPORTS