How The Entire NFL Missed The Boat On Tony Romo

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by Omen, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

NFL coaches and scouts love to call the draft an inexact science, mainly to excuse the picks that don't pan out. Tony Romo is proof that it's no science at all. As hard as it is to believe, considering how the Cowboys' new $67.5 million man has become the league's most celebrated quarterback this side of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, Romo wasn't even drafted in 2003. "One of the biggest draft mistakes in a long time," said ESPN analyst Floyd Reese, who was general manager of the Titans at the time. "It just goes to show you why quarterback is the No. 1 position for mistakes in the NFL."

Source: Bart Hubbuch, NYpost.com

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I read somewhere that for every Ryan Leaf there's a Tony Romo out there. But besides Romo, I can't think of another undrafted QB who had success. There are lots of 1st round pick busts, but not many undrafted QBs...maybe because they don't get too many chances. Remember Romo was sitting on the bench for three years.

3. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Jeff Garcia, Kurt Warner, Jon Kitna, Jake Delhomme...Damon Huard....um... I'm sure there's more but those guys spring to mind off the bat.
    There's more these days than there used to be since the draft has been shortened from...471 rounds or whatever the hell it used to be.

4. Underground Dyer

Underground Dyer Chicago Bears Know-It-All

I can think of one reason....his last college game.

It was in the first round of the I-AA playoffs in 2002 when Romo's Eastern Illinois took on my Western Illinois Leathernecks (I was color commentator for the game). Western won the game 38-9 and murdered Romo all day long. He looked nothing like the guy that is kicking butt in the league now.

The Leathernecks pressured him all day long and he panicked just about every time to the tune of multiple sacks, a couple of INTs and at least one fumble.

Needless to say, Romo did not live up to winning the Walter Payton Award aka the I-AA Heisman Trophy. At least not that day.

He also had almost as many picks as TDs that year as well, the ratio was pretty close.

5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Wow...I was sure Warner, Garcia and Dellhomme were late draft picks. I looked it up and they were undrafted too.

The more you know...

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I can't believe you doubted me, TJ...:tsk:...I'm so dissapointed.

7. Omen

never doubt a dude with a girl holding beer in his sig............

there is alot more now as some one said but romo only had two teams call him denver and dallas and denver offered him more $$ but he chose dallas

8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Well...I usually get my facts straight before starting an argument. When in doubt, google is my best friend :icon_cheesygrin:

9. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

i didn't read the article, but i'm pretty sure sean payton got romo his 'audition' in dallas. and i know payton tried to bring romo to the saints when he came....dallas said hell no.

10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Yeah...from the article..

And thank you Omen for not including the article title of "TONY BALONEY". Ewww.

11. Omen

your welcome dude i judt bring my self to type that