I Hate Phillip Rivers

Discussion in 'San Diego Chargers' started by FSUViking, Jan 14, 2008.

1. BCheezy

BCheezy Starter

Football's a pretty emotional game I can't really blame him for jerking the fan's chains a little bit. He's just trying to get his team fired up and its working.

2. FZ06

FZ06 Random Guy

Difference: Phillips is a QB. Just the kind of player that's ALWAYS on camera.

They said it before me (here, HERE, don't go linking me to other sites again), he's the face of the Chargers, he's the spokesman. So, in the end, it doesn't matter what the "truth" is, or if what you've been saying is valid or not, it matters what the NFL fans think. And most of the fans don't seem very happy about him.

3. 49erGenius

49erGenius Banned

Even as a football fan, I find his actions unprofessional. The real test will be what if the Chargers lose? What if Rivers gets hurt? What if a reporter 'hard presses him' on being a jerk? I can Rivers going into a swearing tirade at the reporter and a scuffle ensuing. Rivers is at the stage where he has no concern about what the fire can do. But whip up a little Santa Ana, and the fire can go out of control. His actions are more like the attitude of a professional wrestler in the heel department, and this is the NFL< not the WWE. :tsk:

All Rivers has to do, in the words of the Dixie Chicks, just shut up and play the game. That's why as a fan, I will take personal pleasure when the chargers lose.

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

They didn't have cameras on him before, because he's done it before and nothing was said. Rivers doesn't act like a QB, he acts like a Football player, and that's something refreshing. Why does every QB have to act the same way?

5. lostfan

lostfan Starter

The case for Brady being looked at as a great leader is helped quite a bit by the 3 Super Bowl rings he has, and 2 SB MVPs (granted the first one was really by default since he didn't do anything). Comparing Rivers' accomplishments to Brady's makes Rivers look like a squished ant stuck to the bottom of Brady's shoe. Not saying that accounts for the entire attitude perception but there would be a lot less criticism of Rivers if he'd actually done something. Brady can get away with just about any negative behavior and he will still be verbally fellated until the end of time.

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

No one said anything about him when he was talking crap his first playoff game , this was back when he was just backup taking over.

7. FZ06

FZ06 Random Guy

So, what are you saying? It's all a Principal Goodell's conspiracy? Or that "being different" justifies it?

There's a reason all RESPECTABLE QBs act "the same way", that it's the correct one. You don't have to be a loudmouth to be "different and refreshing", look at Favre, he's quite unique in his behavior, nobody celebrates like he does, nobody enjoys the game like he does, and I do find it "refreshing", since all those Tom Brady droids go out there and score and win games and have not a trace of a smile in their faces.

And crap, maybe Favre talks crap too, but at least he does it so that the other players will see him, not so everybody else does.

And you can go on and on with your "No one was saying anything before" statement, but the thing is, we are now. That's what it's about, today, not before.

8. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

What about Mr. Joe Namath?

Even Phil Simms admits he was a huge trash talker, and other players who've played with him confirm it.

9. FZ06

FZ06 Random Guy

So? He was the most overrated QB to ever win a Super Bowl! You want to compare your precious Rivers to him go right ahead.

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

But he was respected, enough so that he became overrated, and that was the point.

11. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

The freaking game was over. Who is he firing up? The guy who picks up Gatorade cups?

You won the game. You want to put the Colts fans in their place, point to the freaking scoreboard. No words needed.

You've completely lost the purpose of the situation. Trash talking to other players on the field has gone on since pro football was invented and will continue. But only a select few jackasses actually get into to screaming matches with the people sitting in the stands.

Brady and Anthony Smith have zero correlation to Rivers and the guys in section 114 in their little Peyton Manning replica jerseys. Brady and Smith are on the field, playing each other. And Brady trash talking in Smith's face after the TD was because in pre-game warmups Smith was standing at the 50 yelling some crap to Brady as he was stretching. And even if that wasn't the case, so freaking what? Players on the field talk crap to each other on every damn play. How is that in any way the same thing as getting into it with people in the seats?

12. FZ06

FZ06 Random Guy

Ok then, tell you what, if Rivers manage to win this SB I'll "respect him" by calling him overrated, seems fair to you?

13. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

I don't really care what you call him, your opinion isn't that special. Sorry.

14. efunk_adelic

efunk_adelic bolt fanatic

i don't give a crap one way or another... stick to your opinion and leave it at that.

15. reubenco

reubenco Greenbelter

Rivers is still a better player than Eli Manning

16. 49erGenius

49erGenius Banned

So ends another lousy season in the NFL. Thanks a lot, Rivers. He'll probably be on the crutch until the season opener. :tsk: No wonder Madden is better then the real life.

17. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

Yeah, Rivers threw those awesome 2 INT's.

Two of the most pathetic throws i've ever seen. :rollinglaugh:

18. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

The 1 to Chambers shouldn't have been INT'd, Chambers a damn cat letting samuel gettin position on it, I hated Rivers till that game, he showed a lot playing with that Partially torn ACL, played very well with it actually.

19. Cletusaurus

Cletusaurus YES! YES! YES!

I still don't like Rivers one single bit, but I've gotta give him some massive props for toughing it out and giving it everything he had.

Unlike his cat of a running back.

20. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

Totally agree on both counts.