Indianapolis 500

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by TheDuke, May 26, 2013.

1. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

INDIANAPOLIS — It's the 97th running of the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing," and we've got some essential information you need to get ready for today's Indianapolis 500.

START TIME: The command to start the 33 engines in the field will be given by Indianapolis Motor Speedway matriarch Mari Hulman George at 12:06 p.m. ET. After a few pace laps, the green flag will wave at 12:12 p.m. So if you want to skip the pre-race show and just tune in for the race itself, flip on your TV at 12:12 p.m. ET.

RACE DISTANCE: 500 miles, 200 laps on the 2.5-mile oval at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

NATIONAL ANTHEM: Christian music singer Sandi Patty will perform the anthem at 11:53 a.m. In a tradition that dates to 1972, actor Jim Nabors will sing (Back Home Again In) Indiana at 12:04 p.m. after missing last year's race because of illness. Jon McLaughlin will sing God Bless America at 11:47 a.m. in place of regular performer Florence Henderson, who will miss this year's race because of illness.

POLE WINNER: Ed Carpenter becomes hometown hero

TV/RADIO SCHEDULE: ABC will broadcast the race and has a pre-race show beginning at 11 a.m. ET. The IMS Radio Network will have the radio broadcast.

WEATHER: Dicey. Showers are forecasted for the entire day, and according to wunderground.com, there is a 40% chance of thunderstorms Sunday in Indianapolis. The high temperature is expected to be 66 degrees.

[​IMG]

Here's the starting lineup for today's Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway:
    1. Ed Carpenter
    2. Carlos Munoz
    3. Marco Andretti
    4. E.J. Viso
    5. AJ Allmendinger
    6. Will Power
    7. Ryan Hunter-Reay
    8. Helio Castroneves
    9. James Hinchcliffe
    10. J.R. Hildebrand
    11. Alex Tagliani
    12. Tony Kanaan
    13. Oriol Servia
    14. Justin Wilson
    15. Sebastien Bourdais
    16. Scott Dixon
    17. Dario Franchitti
    18. Takuma Sato
    19. Charlie Kimball
    20. James Jakes
    21. Simon Pagenaud
    22. Townsend Bell
    23. Ryan Briscoe
    24. Simona de Silvestro
    25. Josef Newgarden
    26. Graham Rahal
    27. Sebastian Saavedra
    28. Tristan Vautier
    29. Ana Beatriz
    30. Pippa Mann
    31. Conor Daly
    32. Buddy Lazier
    33. Katherine Legge

Source: USA Today

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I'm really happy Tony Kanaan finally won it after so many years falling short. I met him ten years ago in the CART Mexican Grand prix and he's a class act. Congrats, Tony.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

3. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Kanaan won? That's cool. I really wanted to watch the race today but got hung up at work and other stuff. I love watching the Indy 500. Want to see one of those races someday.

4. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

So it was blacked out in Indianapolis so I didn't get to see this. I was pretty annoyed. Apparently it's always blacked out in Indiana. I got to watch ABC News and some other dumb crap. Was hoping for Kennedy to win. Local guy but I hear it was a good race!

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Why do they black it out in Indiana? I can't imagine the race doesn't sell out.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

I never knew they blacked it out in Indiana...that's quite dumb if you ask me...

7. Mike S.

Mike S. GIF Hall Of Fame Class Of 2007 Staff Member

nice win by Kanaan, but the race ended under the yellow flag.