Is Any Player Worth The First-Overall Pick?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by SRW, Jan 26, 2008.

1. mouse

mouse Starter

ON OTHER BOARDS WE LIKE TO CALL THAT SITE PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT YOU USUALLY SAY AFTER READING THEIR CRAP ARTICLES. MOST OF WHAT THEY REPORT IS JUST BS.

2. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

DA9 hit it exactly.....A plyer has to be under contract for that team to be able to trade him....Jones isn't. Miami has Ronnie Brown......what makes you think they'd be interested in Jones or Barber anyway?:eek:hboy:

3. mouse

mouse Starter

THIS IS A STRANGE DRAFT FOR SURE. IT'S A PRETTY SOLID DRAFT THAT IS QUITE DEEP WITH TALENT, BUT NOT A TON A HIGH END TALENT. I THINK THE TOP 3 PLAYERS ARE MCFADDEN, DORSEY, AND ELLIS, BUT NEITHER PLAY A POSITION THAT IS USUALLY LOOKED AT WITH THE #1 PICK.

4. dolphindude13

Given the price tag for the #1 pick, you usually want a skill position or a QB to lead your team for a long time......using that scenario I still think Matt Ryan has a chance to be the guy taken there. Don't think he necessarily deserves that title but it wouldn't suprise me at all.

5. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

I think the whole premise of this thread wasn't just about this year anyway. Is any player worth the 1st overall pick?
    I'd say if you look back and compare overall that there have been more busts than greats as #1 overall. I could be wrong since I am just posting and not looking up actual stats but #1 overall doesn't make the player a lock does it?
    When looking at this years draft posibilities.....I certainly wouldn't pick McFadden as a number one. Just as many said that Tim Tebo was a product of his offensive scheme, I think McFadden was too. He prospered more in that Wild Hog offense than in any traditional set. Is Jerry Jones willing to implement a system like that in Dallas?
    I think I'd stick with someone that's a little safer and if the Fins keep their pick I almost bet they go with Dorsey or Ryan first.

6. DallasArmor09

DallasArmor09 Well-Known

Every pick is a risk cause you just never know what your going to get out of the kids your Drafting till they actually produce on the field!!! The #1 overall pick is stuck under a microscope more because of the setbacks it could have to a team if that player fails and the money wasted on that player. I have never seen a player taken #1 overall be a lock to do anything until he has done something.. There is too many risks having the #1 overall pick then any pick. Teams are blasted for taking need over a soo called best player in this draft. I still believe whether u pick #1 or 32nd overall you must take need for yuor teams sake. As DD13 stated Matt Ryan is def. not out the question for Miami with the #1 pick because of the fact they need a QB and they could get more value if he is a beast then any other player on their board at #1.

7. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Marion Barber isn't eligible to be traded either, as an RFA. As PFT said, for him to be used as part of the package they would have to pull a sign-and-trade, which while common in the NBA is practically unheard of in the NFL.
    And why wouldn't the Fins want Barber? The dual running back is becoming the new trend in the NFL, it would both take pressure, time, and wear off of Brown, and act as an insurance policy if he gets hurt again or doesn't come back as quickly or in a form that the Fins like.
    If the Cowboys actually made this deal work, or as suggested in the PFT article, let Barber walk for a 1st and 3rd which would be used to sweeten the pot, the Dolphins would be foolish not to take it. 2 1sts and a top RB or 3 1sts plus probably a second and third or two would be huge for a rebuilding team with more than one hole that needs filling.
    McFadden isn't going to be all that anyways. Definitely not worth a #1 pick or all that Jerrah would have to give up to get it. If Jerrah isn't going senile, he would be better served staying put or jumping up a couple picks if needed to get Felix Jones, since he is so infatuated with Arkansas backs. Jones is going to be better anyways.

8. PSID412USM

PSID412USM Pro Bowler

I think this could happen.

9. DallasArmor09

DallasArmor09 Well-Known

Dallas doesn't need to move up to the #1 overall pick to land McFadden if indeed they want him!!! Why can't they move up to the Rams Oaklands or Atlantas pick? Im sure both Atlanta and Oakland would want McFadden but they need more the na RB right now. Thats the smarter move for Dallas as the value will not cost as much as the #1 overall spot.

10. dolphindude13

Why wouldn't the Fins want Barber? Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Samkon Gado, Jesse Chatman and Lorenzo Booker...........RB isn't a NEED for the Fins. I would deal for their picks in a heartbeat just to get out of the 1st position though. If they could get 3 1st's I'd be ecstatic. Isn't going to happen though!

I agree with you on Mcfadden though. Alot of people saying they think Felix Jones may be the better pro!