Is Dawkins A Hall Of Fame Saftey

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by ball in the baskett, Jun 27, 2008.

?

Will dawkins make the hall of fame

1. yes

18 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. no

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters moon over minnie!

you should clarify a healthy polamalu.

2. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

At the end of this year, he has a shot at having 700 tackles, 20 sacks, 30+ interceptions and 20+ forced fumbles. That's pretty special to me. On top of all that, he does it with great intensity and has led his defense for a decade (deep into the playoffs for half of a decade).
    :icon_eek:

Do you know who the guy is? Too early to tell? He's in the last year of his career and you're comparing him to guys that are playing in their prime.

3. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

They may be better now but Reed is the only one who is arguably better at their respective peaks and Reed hasn't had the longevity Dawkins has.

Judge him on his best and not now he is coming to the end of his career.

You need a lot more than just the numbers. Look at someone like Art Monk. He had the numbers but didn't get in because he had no 'signature' plays or huge playoff performances.

When has Dawkins dominated in the playoffs or made those sorts of plays that people will always remember (aside from Eagles fans)

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

try watching some NFC games and in particular the eagles before making such silly statements like this that prove you know nothing of the player being discussed. to say dawkins was not a game changer is lunacy. he also was a big part of why we got to the super bowl and although he is at the end of his career is still considered one of the game's best.

i'll take the opinion of guys like troy aikman, michael irvin and smmitt smith you all state dawkins was feared and they tried to avoid him at all costs over anyone.

5. burnout2oo7

I agree with you that you need more than numbers, but I don't think you need a highlight reel play such as Tyree's catch in the Super Bowl or "The Catch" by Clark to get in. Dawkins has come up with big plays in playoff games (OT INT against Favre to win, big hit against Falcons in NFCCG and good game overall). I think his one downfall would be never winning the Super Bowl.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

exactly and that doesn't include the routine plays in playoff games he made that didn't make espn.

dawkins also played like a beast against the giants in 00 when they could only score one touchdown on a fluke play. they were otherwise shutdown offensively and brian was a huge reason why. he also played huge against tampa in playoffs in 01, 02 & 03 not to mention playing a part in slowing the rams down in 01.

again, it's going to be hard for dawkins, reed and anyy other safety to make it in period. it's just a simple fact that's rare they ever make it to canton.

7. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

What I meant by it's too soon to tell is thar I don't think any player can be judged accurately on whether or not they'll make it in until after they retire. It's never too late to gain it in your last year or throw it out in your last year (just look at Roger Clemens).

God you eagles fans are such HOMERS

8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

And haters...don't forget haters...

Rep for you.
    :icon_cool:

9. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

How are Eagles fans homers for thinking that Dawkins may be deserving of the Hall Of Fame? Have you not watched the man play? Look at this poll. There are what, maybe 5 or 6 Eagles fans that voted in the poll. Take out those votes and the majority of the board members here think that he will make it in. Don't call it a homer thing.

And also, if we are such homers, check out how many of us homers voted for the 1991 Eagles LB corp:

http://gridironfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62083

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

nice back peddle after comparing dawkins being discussed for the HOF to jeremy shockey being discussed. nice to see you're now trying to use roger clemens when you said "this isn't baseball" as well.

it's not too early to discuss this subject when a player is probably going into his last year and has already done enough to at least be nominated if not inducted.

btw - it's surprises you that eagles fans are this involved in this thread ? really ? ok - that makes no sense but then again you've yet to sprout a pube. eagles fans aren't the only ones in this thread that said he deserves to go in.

this coming from a fanbase that blindly defends roy williams and thinks he's the greatest. :icon_smile:

11. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

i thnk his stas are wrong he has more than that already

plus D Woodson was better

12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I have never said he's the greatest...only that he's not as bad as everybody says...

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

I for one totally understand your comparison and think it was a good one to get your point across. I have a problem with K-Train basing his opinion of Bradshaw off of just numbers and the highlight reals. Bradshaw brought so much more to the table than just the numbers. He was a genius on the field. The only player of that era to call his own plays, he had the leadership skills, he had the wins, he has the rings, he has 2 Super Bowl MVPs, 3 Time Pro Bowler (in an era where only players and coaches voted,) 4 time all-pro...but I don't want to derail the thread.

Dawkins is a great player, I think he'll eventually get in, I just don't think he will be a first ballot guy. That being said, I don't think Rod Woodson will be a first ballot guy either, but he should. He is one of the greatest corners if not the best of all-time. He's Deion with the ability to tackle minus the "flash." :icon_lol:

Good Point!

Those are special numbers to me too. The category of "tackles" is a bull crap stat...hence the reason they're not recognized by the league. It's just some nerd sitting up in the box favoring the home team most of the time...:icon_lol:

14. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Plus you get more tackles when your defense is on the field more. It's a fairly useless stat.

15. burnout2oo7

First of all, one year is not going to make or break a hall of fame career. It's about endurance and consistency. Is Peyton Manning going to be a HOFer because he broke the TD record a few years back? No, but he's going to make it because he strung together great season for a long period of time. Also, your example of Roger Clemens is a horrible one. He may still make the Hall of Fame and you're also talking about a guy who used steroids and was found to have affairs with teenage girls. It's not like he went out, sucked balls and tarnished his legacy.

Nice one. Hide behind the "homer" claim when someone disagrees with you. I love how it's wrong to say positive things about a player on your team, but it's alright to come in here and make a decision without knowing who the player is. Like Dawk said, look at the poll results. It's not just Eagles fans that think he should be a hall of famer.

It's wrong to think good things about your own team, but ok to say bad things about others because you don't like their team? :shrug: Great logic. :icon_rolleyes:

Nobody here is completely unbiased and if you say you are, you're full of crap. Everybody has their opinions about their own team and other teams and at some point they are going to come into play when you make statements/predictions.

16. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

heck polamalu

lol

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

:icon_lol:

18. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

Should Dawkins be a HOF'er? Yes......Will he be a HOF'er? No

I love the way the guy plays, he carries himself on and off the field in a professional manner (which I think should be judged in all sports) and he's been one of the best in his era at his position. With all that said, the safety position may be the toughest spot on the field to get into the Hall outside of Kicker. i just don't think it's gonna happen.

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

agreed.

20. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

So you can call me homer, but I can't call you homes. I get it :moe:

Dude, I said Dawkins deserves to be in the HOF...I don't think he'll get there in his first year, but eventually...probably...

Ohh...and you all are haters.