Is Matt Cassel Ready?

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by Arrowhead4Life, Apr 29, 2010.

1. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Also I think he's smart.

Don't heck this up Matt.

2. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

Matt Cassel

Happy feet/no progression
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_kYUglT4dY]YouTube - Kirk Morrison's hit on Matt Cassel[/ame]
    On this play, Cassel has a receiver wide open to the top of the screen. He locks onto his primary receiver and when it isn't open he takes off with the ball, taking a big hit. He gained 9 yards but could have thrown the quick out for potentially much more.

Deep ball
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re7v0ibx9cU]YouTube - The 2009 Kansas City Chiefs[/ame]
    0.02-0.07
    This play resulted in a touchdown, but the ball was underthrown (notice the receiver having to slow down a lot to catch), thrown to the wrong shoulder (led the receiver towards the defender) and floated in the air for too long, allowing the defender a chance to make a play. If this wasn't broken coverage, that pass is tipped down, if not intercepted.

In 2009, he completed 55 percent of his passes. But it's not like he took deep shots all season - he had a 5.9YPA (I count the "good" YPA at around 7.0, "acceptable" is about 6.4). He threw for 2,924 yards and equal numbers of touchdowns and interceptions (16 each) for a 69.9 QB rating for the season. He was sacked 42 times in 15 games, and while a lot of that is due to poor pass-blocking on the offensive line (the right side in particular - their pass blocking ability is roughly equivalent to a turnstile), Cassel also holds onto the ball for far too long, scared perhaps of throwing an interception?

To put this in perspective, in 2008, playing 15 full games for the Patriots, Matt Cassel was sacked 47 times. In 2007, the Patriots line allowed 21 sacks. In 2009, 16 sacks. Some of this has to do with other defenses not respecting the Cassel deep ball like the Brady deep ball, but not to the extent of 26 more sacks allowed, if it was 7-9 more sacks, then it would be moot.

(I can't find a video) Watching some of the Chiefs games (if you have a game you can put on, do it) count how long Cassel holds onto the ball in a three step drop. The 3-step drop is designed to get the ball out of the quarterbacks hands as soon as possible. When his primary receiver is open, Cassel can do this as well as any QB in the league. When the #1 is taken away, however, I have counted up to SIX seconds where he holds the ball and runs around in the pocket (doesn't even keep his eyes downfield like Rodgers or Roethlisberger).

Chris Chambers had 608 of Cassel's 2900 yards in 2009 (in 9 games). Most of these came on quick hitches and crossing routes (5.9YPA remember?) which were turned into bigger gains by Chambers' physicality and 210 pound frame. He showed the young receivers what it is to fight for every yard and how to block for the runner on every play. Dewayne Bowe had 47 receptions for 589 yards. He was double teamed until the arrival of Chambers thanks to the lack of firepower across from him. Teams being unafraid of Cassel's noodle arm are playing the receivers tighter with the safeties shallower than usual. This limits the receiver's downfield production - bad for a talented receiver like Bowe.

I'm not hating on the Chiefs. I think they are a great franchise with loyal, dedicated fans. I want to see them be competitive again. I don't think Cassel can do that (see above).

I like Bowe. I love Jamaal Charles and the signing of Thomas Jones. I like Chambers in his role. I think Branden Albert has potential at LT, but would be All-Pro inside or on the right side. I think Charlie Weis is a genius (not so much on Todd Haley). I like the secondary - Carr, Flowers and Berry are all great.

Matt Cassel is holding this team back from challenging the Chargers for the AFC West.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
    2 people like this.
  3. Three7s

Three7s 1st Stringer

^All good points, I was actually worried about his deep ball when hearing about how he was doing in training camp. However, with the running game we have, I think he could do the job as a manage the game type QB. In the mean time, maybe he can get better.

4. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Joe, did Matt Cassel steal your girl or something?

5. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

I was asked to show you my points, wasn't I?

And no, it's unfounded hatred. Much like my hatred of Julius Jones and Donovan McNabb.

I backed it up though.

6. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

LOL, fair enough......I could probably find youtube videos of any QB making mistakes if I wanted though. I don't know if Matt Cassel is going to be any good or not. The one thing I do know and it's also the thing that no one can dispute is that he can win 11 games as a QB in the league, he's proven that. That's more than my beloved Chiefs have won in the last 3 freaking years. So I'm on board, let's put the pieces around him and win some football games.

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

no one can predict whether Cassel starts to improve this year after a couple of seasons as a starter. It took Brees a few years before he stopped locking onto receivers and holding the ball too long. then again, there are many examples of QB's that never got out of the habit of holding the ball and locking onto receivers and eventually lost the starting job. Either he will remain the same way or he will improve. No one knows what the future holds.

as king romo mentioned, the better question is: "if cassel doesn't show any improvement in these areas this year, will they keep him around or will they go with someone new?"

8. Cassel will improve period with weapons and look at all the weapons hasselbeck has and still sucks. Oh okay thought so and you guys will beat us? And we dont whupp you everytime we play?

9. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Is that your immediate response? When someone says something negative you automatically try to discredit his or her opinion by attacking the team they root for? And Cassel will never be more than an average QB. The arguement about him winning 11 games, well that was with a team that went 18-fail the year before.

10. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

just joe. with our lame QB we will kick your seachickens asses team. IN YOUR HOUSE.

11. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

It's cool, bro. I was hoping for a detailed analysis of why Cassel is good, but hey, maybe it's me. Maybe I'm setting the bar too high. :icon_confused:

12. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

You can be sure that once mallett goes apecrap at the combine, he will move ahead of luck.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

actually not really, they will give kolb more than one season, this will be cassel's second full season for KC. Also, the Eagles drafted Kafka who has the skill set necessary to excel in the WCO and is their back up plan to kolb not succeeding.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  13. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Unless you're talking arm strength it's stupid to speculate what a young QB will be able to do without a decent team around him.

Good luck on your prospects folks.

14. Shut up! Wtf do you be thinkin sometimes 4real man? Saying Cassel will be nothing more then an average QB is like saying the Dolphins will suck because Henne is under center. But im not stupid enough to say that and have sense enough to know thats true. When Cassel proves every1 wrong this upcoming year best believe im coming at your butt with a thread with a vengeance!

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!

15. jefchef

jefchef Rookie

If you've followed the Chiefs, you'd know that Albert had to lose 40 lbs last offseason and basically relearn the LT position that he only spent one year at. It has been discussed, at great length on other boards, that playing such an important position after losing all of the weight he had to lose would take a while to adjust. He did very good the last few games of the season after starting off very poorly. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a better guard, but he is very capable of being a good LT.

You are right about the defense, not addressing the NT position or the OLB position was a HUGE mistake in my opinion. I wasn't a fan of the McCluster or Arenas picks at the time, but they will help with our offense in many ways, Arenas being in starting field position.

Romeo's defense does not rely heavily on playmakers and it never has. It was about responsibility of the players to know their job and be in the position to make plays. His players were always required to be smart more so than talented. It won't make for a very exciting defense, but if they do their job, they should be at least average.

BS. Kolb is a very good QB and destroyed us last year.

This is the worst comeback I've ever heard. Hasselbeck has a career 164-111 TD/INT ratio with a 83.3 QB rating, led his team to a Superbowl and is a 3 time Pro Bowler. Cassel has yet to lead a team to a playoff victory. I hope he will soon, but until he does, lets not compare him to a 34 year old that is on the downside of his career when Cassel should be in his prime and still had a worse season. I get that Cassel had less to work with, but Hasselbeck didn't have a lot to work with last year either.

16. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

what? they only try 2 get the best WR in FA every year. :icon_rolleyes:

the whole key was Hasselbeck's fault 2 their down year.

He was dumb 2 think he wouldnt get hurt running in from the 5 yard line.

the a LB popped him in the back.

17. jefchef

jefchef Rookie

Try. There is a reason those receivers are available when they signed them. Not saying their receivers aren't very good, but their offense as a whole stunk, thanks in large part to the 26th rated running game. We had the 11th and yet MH still had a better year than MC. Their leading rusher had a 3.7 avg while JC had a 5.9 avg.

No running game is what was killing their offense, not MH. Why do you think they added 85 RB's this offseason?