Jay Cutler, Alex Smith - Who Is Better?!?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by misfitz, Sep 14, 2012.

1. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

stats > excuses

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Well then be sure to keep track of Smith's stats while he's on the bench. I'd like to see those comparisons.

3. misfitz

His QBR and Passer rating are higher then Cutler and thats not going to change =D

4. misfitz

Although maybe now Cutler can pass him in TDs thrown for the year because even with 1 more game played this year he is still only tied for TDs thrown.

5. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Can we please stop with comparing era from days gone by? It's a whole different game now. The passing game has a ridiculous amount of advantages now that they never had back in the day.

Now, you can throw out stats this year. Both players run different systems. Too many outside factors cloud those stats. What it comes down to (as far as it does for me at least) is which QB would I want with 2:00 left, no timeouts, down 4 with the ball at our 20. Who's natural skills, set of brass balls and good decision making will give me the best chance at the win?

When it's all said and done, I'd go Cutler.

6. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but if I'm the other team and I need to get the ball back to win I'd also pick Cutler, he's more likely to turn it over.

7. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I don't understand this part. If it's a good decision, it does not take brass balls.

8. misfitz

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxMz5h11CU]2012 Playoffs-Epic Final Drive-49ers vs Saints - YouTube[/ame]
    1:09 left in the game ball at the 22 down by 3 no time outs in the playoffs

Alex got it done.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKrJTYUPo7E"]49ers vs Lions 2011 - Alex Smith - Walker - Game Winning TD Live - YouTube[/ame]
    go ahead TD on 4th down under 2 minutes left in the game.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  9. SRW

Yeah and he followed up the Saints win by clamming up against the Giants in the NFC title game. He was a man playing scared in the 4th quarter of that game.

10. misfitz

Because Aaron Rodgers had an awesome game the week before and Tom Brady was amazing against that defense 2 weeks later. Giants D got hot and shut down qbs in the playoffs

11. SRW

There were throws to be made in the fourth quarter that he simply did not make. That can't be denied.

12. misfitz

Aaron rodgers and Tom Brady both missed throws in the 4th as well. It happens against a very good defense.

13. SRW

The other difference is that in a couple games a second year QB has taken his job simply because he has the arm and guts to take the deep throw when it's there to take. Caretaker Smith is more than happy to dink and dunk downfield and wear down Frank Gore.

14. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

found some more great stats yayayayayayayaaay

qbs that have played over alex smith

Tim Rattay
    Ken Dorsey
    Cody Pickett
    Trent Dilfer
    Shaun Hill
    chris Weinke
    J.T. O'Sullivan
    Shaun Hill
    Troy Smith
    Colin Kaepernick

15. misfitz

Tim Rattay was starter when Alex was a rookie............same with Dorsey and Pickett. Neither of them started another game after Alex got his first start and was healthy.

Trent Dilfer and Shaun Hill only got the job after Alex tore his shoulder. After he was healthy he took the job over from Hill and never gave it back.

Weinke started when Smith and Hill were hurt. He never started over a healthy Smith.

JT O'Sullivan was the starter in a year where Alex was on IR for that separated shoulder.

Troy Smith came in after Smith got hurt and had a few bombs that made some people excited he gave the job back to Smith a few weeks after Smith was healthy again and never got it back. A couple of prayer throws are why he was starter for something like 2 games.

16. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Hmm sounds like an EXCUSE to me.

17. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Smith just hasn't gotten a fair deal in SF. He should not have lost his job because he had a concussion and Kaepernick came in and did good. Oh wait...this is a what have you done for me lately league so Cutler over Smith. Bears homer here.

18. SRW

Hey, here's a plus for Alex. He's still a team captain. Yep, they made him walk out there for the coin toss. Then he grabbed the hat and clipboard and got comfy in his new digs. BUT he's still a captain. That's got to count for something, no?

19. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Not according to Harbaugh apparently.

20. misfitz

Cutler is having a good game today that 56 yard play to marshal was huge.