Jayson Werth Now A Washington National?

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by DawkinsINT, Dec 5, 2010.

1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

7 year deal he's supposedly about to sign.

2. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Seems a bit long.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Wouldn't surprise me...

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

7/126? Thats disgusting for an over 30 journeyman player who hadn't really done jack in an 8 year career until the last few.

Good Job Nats!!

5. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

:icon_cry: My view from right field will never be the same. Glad he's staying in the NL though.

6. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

7. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

8. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

1/8 of a billion dollars!! WOW!
    Did the Nats forget to check Werth's birth certificate before they inked the deal? 7 years starting at age 32! Congrats Scott Boras. You pulled off a real Houdini for yourself the Werth camp. The Phillies will continue to kick butt and the Nats will continue to look up in the standings.

9. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

One hell of a retirement package he received

10. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

Everybody is basically bashing this move. It's obvious that he's overpaid and towards the end of the contract it'll be a bunch of money, but this is what the Nationals had to do to get him. And what it does is make a guy like Willingham more likely to be traded to sure up the rotation and possibly bring in another young player.

The Nats look dumb for the signing, and if another team did it they'd look desperate, so at this point the only thing that matters to me is that the Nats were aggressive. We could've had an OF of Willingham, Morgan, and Bernadina with Morse at 1st and many people wouldn't have been happy.

Was Dunn a better option? Possibly, less years and money. But Werth can put up power (although not the same) and a better average. He has good OF defense and most likely whoever plays 1st will be better at defense than Dunn.

This could all be a mute point years from now but it's something to look at I guess.

11. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I understand being optimistic but worth was in a superstar lineup playing for a contract. This is Barry Zito bad.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Good for him...cash in while you can.

He'll wind up being somewhere in between Jason Michaels and the "Phillies" Jayson Werth. He won't be the Werth that played for the Phils...lol.

13. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Moot point.

14. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

What difference does it make. Most baseball contracts are ridiculously ridiculous anyway relatively speaking. Guess this is just extra ridiculously ridiculous.

15. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

If you go to bleacherreport.com, they say that the Nats have offered Lee a seven-year deal. If that is the case, where are they getting all of this money?

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

the owner(s) of the nats are loaded. money isn't an issue and if the nats can sign lee along with werth they will put a lot more asses in the seats.

HTTR hit it on the head really, if the nats want guys like werth & lee they have to overpay. the phillies did it with thome and it worked perfectly.

werth is going to have to find a way to have better at bats as he will not be protected. if he takes the clea-up spot there's going to be issues as his slugging percentage went to crap and he will be in a bigger stadium.

all that said i can't fault the nats for doing this, at all.

the only thing that buggem me with all of this is werth saying he felt unwanted. what ?

17. markaz

Where and when did he say that? I'd like to see or read it. I believe what yur sayin', just want to see/read how he came to that ridiculous conclusion.

18. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

This deal is fine with me. Now it's going to take one helluva big butt contract to get Carl Crawford signed. Hopefully no one will be willing to give him something similar and he stays a Ray.

I know I'm dreaming but it's all I got at this poinrt.

19. markaz

If the Rays are allowed to get gutted to downsize payroll it will be a crime.

20. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

This is off topic but Friedman said before the year if the attendance revenue didn't improve he was going to cut payroll. So it's our (Tampa Bay fans) fault for not supporting the team Plus it's obvious he want a stadium over here on the Tampa side of the bay.