Jayson Werth Now A Washington National?

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by DawkinsINT, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Oh, please! He signed with the Nats because they offered him more money. Come on, Jayson. Tell the truth. Confession is good for the soul.

2. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

"Unfortunately, it didn't work out. I did have a great time in Philadelphia. [But] once you get to a point where you feel unwanted or you get a sense you're not part of the plans, it's time to move on."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/111367799.html?viewAllLatest=y&text=

I understand what he is saying. While Howard was offered a mega deal & Victorino was giving an extension.... Werth wasn't a talked about topic.

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Once Boras was in the picture, the Phils knew they weren't going to pay him what he would be looking for compared to what they felt his value was.

I don't blame Jayson one bit for going after a deal like that.

4. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

The Nationals have money, we never spend it lol.

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

agreed, the phils had the chance to try and re-sign him before he went to boras but it seems like amaro tried to play a bit of hardball, which is what i think werth may be referring to when saying he felt unwanted and it backfired.

if the nats somehow land lee lookout.

6. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I'll believe the Nats will land Lee when I see it. For now, it's a two team race between the Rangers and the Yankees.

7. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

For talking purposes let's say the Phils offered him $60 million for 5 years. To say you didn't feel wanted after somebody tossed $126 million at you is lame.

8. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

While I completely agree that once Boras was in the picture the Phils were out of it... but Boras became his agent in Sept. I think Werth didn't feel like he was wanted because the Phils were busy with other players and reworking their contracts.

Victorino was extended in Jan... Howard signed in April.. I don't remember hearing any contract negotiations during the season involving Werth but I also recall numerous times him saying he'd deal with his contract and entertain offers once the season was over.

So while I understand why Werth felt unwanted he also made it clear he wasn't dealing with his contract during the season so he basically made his bed with the Phils. Plus you damn well know you're going to strike it big once you hire Boras and won't accept peanut offers.

Do I blame Werth? No, I'd do the same damn thing.

9. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Werth is being underpaid. Carl Crawford signed for 7 years/$142 million.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

who thought the nats would get werth ?

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

agreed which is why i think his claim about the other guys getting signed last year after he said himself he wouldnt deal until now is bogus. especially after hearing boras say that the phils did indeed offer 3yrs at $16mil per plus a vested 4th yr option.

still, i don't blame him for taking the nats deal but please, unwanted ?

12. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.