Jimmy Graham To Immediately File Grievance If Tagged As TE

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by LebaneseFF, Feb 18, 2014.

1. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

It’s no secret that Jimmy Graham wants to be paid like a wide receiver.

Graham led the league with 16 receiving touchdowns and was 15th among all players in receiving yards with 1,215. He is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of the league year in March. However, teams can begin placing the franchise tag on players beginning on Tuesday and that’s where the fight could truly begin.

The Saints, if they elect to use the franchise tag on Graham, will likely designate him as a tight end. If they do so, they apparently can expect an immediate response from Graham.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Graham will file a grievance with the league if he’s not tagged as a wide receiver. The reason it matters is because in 2013, the difference between a tight end and a receiver playing on a franchise tag was a difference of approximately $4.5 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-immediate-grievance-if-tagged-as-tight-end/

Okay I am starting to understand why @Kurt is not so high on Graham.

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

He's a TE...what's the problem? He plays in line. I don't see any WRs playing on line any percent of the time...lol

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i thought the league and nflpa had come to an agreement if a TE goes into pass patterns a certain % of the time, he would be considered a WR for tagging purposes? this should be pretty clear cut whether he gets tagged as a TE or WR if that's the case.

Aussie61 likes this.
  4. smeags

smeags militant geek

the saints are treating him like a red-headed stepchild.

5. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

this could get ugly quick.

6. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

It will get ugly . let see how he get tagged ... Will be telling.

But keep this in mind.. He can't block.. He can't beat press coverage and ever since his foot injury this year his jump balls have been none existent

I know he kicks ass but dude.. He's no Hernandez

So I guess our RB should get WR money since they caught more balls than our WR..

Or wait.. Our WR should get paid less because they block like TE?

7. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

Correct! I read somewhere that he had a higher % of snaps lined up as a receiver,so if they tag him,he has to get receiver money.
    I'll try and find the article and post it.

8. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

It's not about who makes more blocks or catches more balls.Their is an agreement in place,and it all comes down to where you line up for the majority of snaps

9. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Says who?

10. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

11. LebaneseFF

Aussie61 This isn't as clear cut as you make it sound, the Saints could easily counter his grievance. IT could get real messy

12. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

That's what I said..

13. LebaneseFF

sorry thought you said it was clear. I was reading an earlier post of yours.

Aussie61 likes this.
  14. 86WARD

86WARD -

Okay...so he took 63% of snaps lined up as a WR. Now show me ONE WR that takes 37% of HIS snaps lined up in line with the offensive line...

15. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I hear what your saying dude.I really don't think the owners really thought this through when they agreed to it in the CBA,or maybe the NFLPA had a better insight into how the game was evolving. Maybe nobody really thought it could get this messy.There are only 2 occurrences that I found today while trying to gather info for this.One was when Baltimore wanted to tag Suggs,and there was disagreement over if he was an OLB or DE.Arbitration wasn't required as the 2 sides reached an agreement and kind of split the difference in salary,but the NFLPA insisted that a clause be put in that this was "not a precedent for future negotiations"
    The other occurrence was last year when the Titans had TE Jared Cook coming off contract and Tennessee were considering using the tag,but,like Graham,there was debate over whether Cook was primarily a TE or WR.In the end the Titans decided they didn't need the headache and allowed Cook to go to Free Agency.
    I don't know much about the player agents in US sport,but from what I read,Grahams agent is a Bulldog who plays hard ball.If that's the case then the Saints seem like they are in for a rough ride.

16. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Graham mine as well get his money while he can but this won't be pretty.

17. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

What about guys like Harvin and Patterson who probably take close to that amount out of the backfield? Should their team be able to classify them as RB's for tag purposes?

Aussie61 likes this.
  18. 86WARD

86WARD -

19. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

No.It's where you are lined up when the ball is snapped,which means they would have to line up in the backfield for the majority of snaps.

20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

So then, for the sake of argument, shouldnt the same thing apply to Graham?

(response to WARD)