JJ Cowboys Forecast: Good News and Bad

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Jihad Joe, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Some of my player specific predictions for the Cowboys 2014 season both good and bad as well as my overall prediction of how the team will fair

Good News

Morris Claiborne:

Mo is starting the season healthy for the first time in his career and is coming in with a big chip on his shoulder. He started hearing the B word after a injury marred 2013. I see Mo coming up big in 2014. I think he will have a season similar to what Jenkins had in 2009 when he made the Pro Bowl

JJ Wilcox:

Before the death of his mother and a knee injury, Wilcox locked down the FS spot much sooner then anyone expected for the 2013 3rd round who had only played Safety one year in his career. He showed some flashes but the staff didnt fully trust him, making him a platoon player once he came back from injury. Word out of OTAs is that Wilcox has made major strides, is penciled in at FS and will be asked to take on more leadership. This year Wilcox will prove to be one of the better young safeties in the NFL

Terrel McClain:

A former 3rd round pick has served as a backup NT in Houstons 3-4. He was signed by Dallas in the offseason to compete for the 1 Technique position. Somewhat producive in Wade Phillips scheme he understands gap penetration from that power position on the DL ( NT, 1 Tech) and should be more effective playing a cocked nose in a 4-3 VS a 3-4. Broaduss has raved about how he has looked in OTAs. I see McClain playing at the same level Tank Johnson did in 2005 for Chicago when he was a unheralded member of that defense

Bad News

Tony Romo

Much has been said about Romo being a 34 year old QB coming off of 2 back surgeries in 2 years. Even his biggest fanboys have are worried. What is a bigger worry for me is that Romo has clearly lost arm strength over the last 2 years, and his deep ball is almost ineffective is Bryant or Williams dont come back and make a great play on the ball. I see Romo having a season in 2014 similar to Matt Shaubs 2013

Doug Free

Doug Free started 2013 as one of the NFLs most effective OTs over the first quarter of the season. Gradually his effectivness dipped to the point he was playing at his 2012 marginal starter level. I belive Free will revert back to the RT that was forced to take a pay cut after 2012

Jason Witten

Yes, Witten had another banner year in 2013, but he is becoming less effective deep and after the catch every year. The last two years he has basically been Check Down Guy. The good news is that I nearly included Gavin Escobar in the Good News section as I feel he will be very effective I 2013. However I see Jason Wittens effectivness having a very steep dropoff in 2014

My Team Predictions: 6-10

Bad News: Dallas will have to move on from Romo and possibly Witten

Good News: Dallas have a bad enough record to secure a franchise QB in a loaded QB class ( my guess is Bryce Petty). And have built a strong offensive line and has playmakers in Dez Bryant and Terrence Williams to help a young QB thrive

2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

6-10 is reachable I guess. I see two wins. Jags and Texans.

3. Jihad Joe

Ya 2 wins is not realistic. This team was close to winning the East with a backup QB.The only reason I see 6 is because I think Romo hits the wall hard. If Romo doesnt I could see 10. I just think he is done and as QBs go so goes an NFL offense

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

The NFC East is noting to write home about either...they should pick up a couple few wins there

5. Jihad Joe

East has a tough schedule this year. I think you could see an 8-8 division winner. With the Cowboys, they could take it if Romo plays the way he did last year. However I just see a huge nosedive in his production this season. I see him being this years Shaub, a guy trying to make plays but killing his team because he doesnt have the juice to do it

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree.

7. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Ugh I have to agree with ya JJ. Although I'm hoping for 8-8 season. I'm still miffed they didn't go after a QB and I don't to mean mr. Football either.

I was hoping for 3rd round guy to groom. But I well. We shall see.

I'm also excited about Gavin. Seeing his highlights from college were awesome. From last years draft.

8. Jihad Joe

Gavin played well when they went to him. They just didnt properly utilize the two TE sets. They would rather dink and dunk with Witten then find a use for someone who can attack the seem

9. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Apparently, my yearly 8-8 prediction is optimistic this time. But come on, it would be hillarious to have a 4th straight .500 season (and being .500 since Jimmy left).

10. Buck Fenson

if Romo gets injured, the season is shot. that is the reason I said two wins. Same for the Saints also. Brees goes down it is over. Can't believe the defense for Dallas has been so poor.

Jihad Joe likes this.
  11. Jihad Joe

I think the defense will be better. Not great, but middle of the pack. They got raped with injuries last year.

With Romo getting hurt, that depends on Orton. I have no faith in Weeden, but Orton is a QB that can still move the ball and keep a defense off the field.

12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

So Orton didn't retire after all?

13. Jihad Joe

Not yet

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

The neckbeard will never die.

15. Buck Fenson

I thought he retired. Orton would be a decent stop gap if Romo went down. Just those back surgeries are worry some.