Klinsmann Gets His First Win As USMNT Coach

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by TheDuke, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

c'mon Andy, don't you know, that Guatemala ranks among the top ten teams worldwide? :icon_wink:

2. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

My apologies. Still, it'll be interesting how they will deal with a step up in quality when they face the likes of Bermuda and Nicaragua...

3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: no team from CONCACAF will EVER come even close to winning a WC.

We should join the south americans, maybe along with Costa Rica and Honduras and create a new confederation. We'll never go anywhere playing the Guatemalas and Guyanas of the world.

I'm talking, of course, of both Mexico and the U.S.

4. It was a WC Qualifier which makes it even worse. US are normally a good side though.

5. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Better chance getting to the dance in the CONCACAF instead of competing in CONMEBOL.

6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I'd rather miss a few WCs but improve by playing superior teams and compete when we make it; than crush little caribbean islands, qualify every 4 years, but never make it past the group stage or the round of 16.

7. SRW

Those players can get seasoning playing elsewhere. Many countries would give up their left nut to be in CONCACAF.

8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

You'd be surprised, Steve...

Now we have guys -YOUNG guys- playing in Europe...Chicharito, Gio Dos Santos, Barrera, Guardado...the best generation of players we have ever had...and we still have problems beating teams like El Salvador!! Our guys are playing the best of the best on a weekly basis, and the NT still suffers on those games... We need to play the best national teams in the world: Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay...in real games, not just friendlies when the result doesn't matter...

You guys have the same issue...your players are also in Europe, but they come home and tie with freakin' Guatemala!!!

National teams have one or two days to get together, have a few practices, and play the qualifiers. Wouldn't it be better if they played the best of the best?

I'd leave CONCACAF and never look back...we've been stuck in the round of 16 for 20 years now, and I've had enough...if we're going to Brazil 2014, and still be eliminated in the 4th game, I'd rather not go. It's that simple...

9. yeah but the problem with Mexico is they are weak at certain spots. Sure they have talent but not everywhere- it's the same with the US.

I get your thinking but I think it's good to have a few warm up/ experimentation games.

10. SRW

Get in with CONCACAF and then nut up when it's time to play with the big boys. Those guys are all pros.

11. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

There are no perfect teams. Even the best in the world, Spain, are playing the Euro without strikers!!

There's nothing wrong with warm up games. But you shouldn't be able to warm up in the qualifiers. The problem with the US and Mexico is that every game is a warm up game. Then we face a real team (say Argentina) in the World Cup and we get kicked out of the stadium because our guys aren't used to that level of play.

And it doesn't matter that the players are in Europe. Club soccer and national teams soccer are very different. Like I said, national teams get one or two days to practice before each game.

Sent from my LG-970h using Tapatalk 2

12. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

k, a few thoughts from me
    You're players, no matter how good they are, can't perform as a team. Our teams playing together for several years now (of course with changes) and they developed a blind understanding for each other. Some of them are teammates in hte Bundesliga, what helps too.

And again, even if some of you don't like that and will call me a hater, the US hasn't a coach in Klinsmann. He was the face of the team, but the coach was and is Löw.

And for the CONCACAF, I somehow had to agree with TJ and wonder who would give his left nt to join it? I'm try to remember, who beside Mexico, Honduras and the US, ever quallified for a WC. On the other hand, getting slapped everytime you enter the field, is a killer too

13. SRW

That's exactly my point though. Mexico and/or the US are pretty much guaranteed a spot with the rest of the field. You go down south and it's a murder's row of teams. You have to get to the World Cup to at least have a chance to win it all.

14. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Yeah...we used to be happy with "just making it" there. After 20 years of being eliminated in the same round, you get tired of it.

Sent from my LG-970h using Tapatalk 2

15. SRW

So how does lessening the odds in making it to the WC make it a better situation to win it? Just to 'season' the players? If they aren't good enough, then they won't win it.

16. I think you just get the right balance of friendlies between elite teams, average teams, and bad teams

17. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Friendlies count for nothing and very often you didn't even play against the #1 team.

18. They give you experience VS top teams like you said.

19. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

If they play their top teams....

20. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Bingo. Whenever England play a friendly your guaranteed to have most, if not all the big club players go missing with fake injuries, not to mention the players who are there are generally half-assing it.

Mexico & US are not going to progress as teams if they only play competitive teams in competitive games every four years, it's idiotic to think otherwise. Obviously making the World Cup will be harder, and probably will miss out from time to time, but they will become better teams regularly playing competitive games against good teams, rather than spending the majority of the time playing against countries without electricity.