Knicks Coach Mike D'Antoni Steps Down

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by Mike, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Melo is a legit 30 ppg "hand me the rock, let me isolate and blow by my man" player. Only thing I can think of is that maybe that Up tempo Suns style full court offence isn't really a fit for him

Melo doesn't distribute and doesn't D. If your gonna build around him your next two pieces need to be rebounding, defending big " a Noah for instance" and a good facilitator at point. Melo's Nuggetts gave a much better Lakers team all they could handle when they had Billups and a good defensive frontcourt

Sent by HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

2. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Melo is more the 25/26 ppg with all the liability that takes away a good chunk of the points.

Think the biggest mistake anyone could make is trying to build anything around him. He's a complimentary piece at best...a good to above average reg season player who's contributions diminish as he gets deeper into the playoffs as teams go thru the series grind, game in & game out, & game plan the iso's in a half court set.

D'Antoni is the same one dimensional just in a coach's setting. Hi-octane push meant to beat opponents with more points with D a distant after thought. Definitely not a Melo type coach. Just a bad marriage from the start.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

This^^. That was the MO down here in Phoenix for his entire tenure. It worked for Stoudemire and the Suns because of Steve Nash. The team motto was "7 seconds or less". But come playoff time where defense is at a premium, the Suns could never get over the hump.