Kubiak wants better punting from Stanley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TDJets72027, Aug 13, 2007.

1. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

Coach Gary Kubiak made it clear Chad Stanley needs to put on a better show in his upcoming preseason outings if he is going to beat out Matt Turk for the punting duties this season.

Stanley had three punts against the Bears on Saturday night two of which Stanley admitted he mis-hit. He finished with one inside the 20 and a net average of 45.7. Turk had two punts for a net average of 43.5 with one inside the 20.

"I know Chad Stanley can kick the ball better than he did last night, and he will be the first one to tell you that," Kubiak said. "I want to say his were 35-37, and I can't remember the other one offhand. When we needed a really big kick at the end of the game, to pin them down there, that was not one of the better of his three.

"It is a good battle going on. We talk about what they do; one of them has got the big leg and one of them has got the consistent leg. But I do know this, Stanley has got to kick the ball better than he did last night to win this job, and he knows that, too."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5048484.html