Let Us Know Who Your Favorite NFL Team Is And Why!

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SRW, Mar 26, 2005.

?

So who is your favorite NFL team?

1. Buffalo Bills

26.1%
  2. Miami Dolphins

1.9%
  3. New England Patriots

1.9%
  4. New York Jets

2.2%
  5. Baltimore Ravens

1.9%
  6. Cincinnatti Bengals

1.1%
  7. Cleveland Browns

1.1%
  8. Pittsburgh Steelers

4.9%
  9. Houston Texans

0.7%
  10. Indianapolis Colts

1.9%
  11. Jacksonville Jaguars

1.1%
  12. Tennessee Titans

1.1%
  13. Denver Broncos

1.9%
  14. Kansas City Chiefs

3.0%
  15. Oakland Raiders

3.7%
  16. San Diego Chargers

1.9%
  17. Dallas Cowboys

5.6%
  18. New York Giants

2.6%
  19. Philadelphia Eagles

3.7%
  20. Washington Redskins

4.1%
  21. Chicago Bears

3.7%
  22. Detroit Lions

2.2%
  23. Minnesota Vikings

1.9%
  24. Green Bay Packers

2.2%
  25. Atlanta Falcons

0.4%
  26. Carolina Panthers

1.1%
  27. New Orleans Saints

3.4%
  28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

1.9%
  29. Arizona Cardinals

1.5%
  30. St.Louis Rams

2.6%
  31. San Francisco 49ers

6.3%
  32. Seattle Seahawks

0.4%
  1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[​IMG]

Please feel free to vote for your favorite team in the poll so we can see what NFL teams are represented by how many fans!

I myself am a Tennessee Titans fan and have been following this franchise since their days in Houston. When I was growing up my brother was a die-hard Redskins fan and I would root for the Redskins along with him. That was until Thanksgiving Day 1988 when I saw the Houston Oilers beat the Cowboys 25-17. It was a back and forth game and I was awestruck at Warren Moon and the Oilers offense and how they threw the ball. From that moment on I was an Oilers fan and suffered thru some very painful team moments like:
    • * 1989 - Losing to the Bengals late in the year 61-7, blowing a chance at the division title

* 1989 - Losing to the Steelers in OT in a playoff game. Damn Lorenzo White and his fumble!

* 1991 - Losing to the Broncos 26-24 in the 2nd round of the playoffs after the Oilers had a 21-6 lead on the road. Elway converted 3 4th downs to drive for the winning score.

* 1992 - Losing twice to the hated Steelers cost the Oilers the division title and then allowing the greatest comeback in NFL history, losing to the Bills 41-38 in OT after being up 35-3.

* 1993 - The suicide of Jeff Alm....

* 1993 - The Oilers last stand for a long while ended with Joe Montana coming into the Astrodome and beating the Oilers 28-20 to knock the Oilers out of the playoffs. It was the last game for Warren Moon as an Oiler.

* 1994 - The Oilers went 2-14. Ouch....

* 1996 - The Oilers last season in Houston. They started 6-2 and looked like a legit playoff team and then went 2-6 down the stretch and missed the playoffs.

* 1997-1998 - Two more .550 seasons as the Tennessee Oilers. It seemed nobody cared about the Oilers as they played home games in front of crowds high school teams would normally play in front of.

* 1999 - Super Bowl XXXIV. The Titans finally get there and end up one yard short from forcing the first overtime in NFL history.

* 2000 - The Titans finish 13-3 and get homefield advantage. Al Del Greco decides to melt down and special teams blunders cost the Titans as they lose their first game in the playoffs vs the hated Ravens.

* 2001 - Injuries decimate the Titans and they finish 7-9.

* 2003 - The Titans came so close to beating the Patriots on a frigid night in Gilette Stadium. Drew Bennett had a 4th down pass go right though his hands. It would turn out to be the last chance the current Titans team would have at a championship.

* 2004 - Last year was a complete nightmare as the Titans were decimated by injuries during the season and stumbled to a 5-11 season. The offseason would see the Titans pretty much dismantle the core of players who contributed for so many seasons.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

Well..my husband was a Chiefs fan..he got me interested in the game..and logically I became a Chiefs fan...been loyal to them ever since..even though they can really piss me off quite often..I hated when they kept Grbac instead of sending his butt down the road & letting Gannon be the starting QB..Wanted to kill freaking Lin Elliott..damn slipping on the ice idiot...and my husband once told me he was REALLY sorry he ever taught me about the game cause I get sooooooooo radical :oops:...oh well...he's gone & I still love the Chiefs & they still drive me crazy!!!!!!!! :)

3. Buffgrandpa

Buffgrandpa Resident Pervert

Been a Bronco fad since the mid 70's...days of Lyle Alzado, Floyd Little, Rick Upchurch .....

I remember Dallas paying one of their former players to throw them 6 interceptions in their first SB in New Orleans.

Used to paint my face orange and blue for the super bowls and have parties and throw foam bricks at the TV and the whole bit..

Ok so I almost cried when they finally did beat GB the first time..

Just about got kicked out of Tampa stadium the year after did real well the first time ~82 and Denver came to Tampa and kicked their butt at home..

Got thrown out of a Bar in Seattle in 85 when Denver came up there and kicked their butt too...

Ahh the memories...

The Drive

The 62 1/2 yard field goal

The Snow Ball Game....and no I didn't throw it, but I was there.

My favorite picture of all time was when little ol' Rick Upchurch is trying to get into Otis Sistuncks Face and looks like he's about 2 feet shorter...

Oh and who can forget that hit that the Atwater monster put on Christian Okoyae?

4. blantyr

blantyr Guest

What team do you like and why?

The team that plays closest to me is the Patriots, and they have been doing sorta OK lately... :roll:

5. Bearsfan5434

Bearsfan5434 Special Teamer

I've been a Bears fan since I knew what football was all about. I've had four fathers, and my third one (1987-1991) introduced me to the game and he was a diehard fan. Even after he left, I continued to watch the game avidly. I loved watching Mike Singletary and Richard Dent, then during the 90's I went through such a roller coaster with the Bears. With just a few winning seasons and hardly a draft pick to write home about, I began growing weary. Then came that magical 2001 season. I watched every game that year. The two games back to back against SF and Cleveland where we had miracle comebacks that ended in the same fashion (Mike Brown returning an int for a TD). I even went to the Washington-Chicago game played in Washington. Brian Urlacher scored his only offensive TD on a fake FG. We won that game and it was honestly one of the highlights of my life. Out of any season that I can remember, I remember that one, perhaps it is because it is so recent, but that defense was amazing. We shut down Mike Vick, sacking him 7-8 times, intercepting the ball a few times, and Urlacher recovered a fumble and returned in 90 yards for a TD.

At the end of the season, I had to go through one of the hardest times in my life. My pregnant fiance and I were moving to Louisiana in Dec '01, Jan '02. She left a week before I did, because I wanted to stay behind and say goodbye to friends and family. Her family was there to take care of her while I was here. The day before Christmas '01, my Grandmother had a massive heart attack. So my plans to say goodbye went down the drain as my parents and sister had to go to her side. I was home alone for nearly a week, when the original plan was to spend time with them. They came home the day I was to leave and so I got my goodbyes out, just not the way I wanted to. I drove through one of the worst snowstorms to hit the south in a very long time, passing accident after accident along the way. It took 37 hours to get from Norfolk, VA to Monroe, LA, which is normally an 11 hour trip. I pulled up to the house at 5:30 in the morning and there were a couple of police cars in the driveway. I went to the door not having a clue what was going on when suddenly the look on my soon-to-be mother-in-law's face said it all. She had a blank stare even as I walked towards her to ask what happened. The police officer said very quickly in passing "I'm very sorry son". My fiance was not there and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Just an hour before I got there, my fiance and child in waiting were killed in an auto accident. She never knew what hit her as the coroner told us she was taken instantly. A man driving a Chevy 2500 ran a red light because he was in such a hurry (at 4:30 AM) and hit the driver side (she drove a Honda Civic). She didn't stand a chance and neither did the baby. I couldn't stay to live there obviously and so after the funeral, I came home. It must have been the adrenaline going through me or something, because I drove nonstop home, only stopping for gas along the way. 17 hours doesn't seem like much when you're on a mission. I say all this because even in the midst of such crap in life, I had one thing to hold on to, and as lame as it sounds it was the Bears. We were 12-3 heading into the final week of the season against the Jags. We needed to win in order to secure a first round bye and a home playoff game. When I got into the car the game had yet to begin and for four hours I was able to break away from reality and relish in a sweet 31-3 (or something close) win and the playoffs were ours. Even Big Keith Traylor got in on the action in that game, intercepting a pass and eventually failing to get into the endzone.

Hope I didn't bore all to death with my weepy story, but that's why I love DA BEARS!!!

6. I was born with Green and Gold blood what can I say?? Being 42 I have suffered through the bad along with the good. ^5 to Bearsfan, as far as the Patriots fans, when you say your a fan tell us how long.......

7. Dam8610

Dam8610 Starter

I'm a Colts fan because ever since I can remember I've been a White Sox fan, and most Sox fans dislike the Bears as well as the Cubs, myself included. So when I first started watching football, my natural inclination was the Bears' biggest rival, the Packers, but that didn't last very long. I thought I didn't like football for a long time until I started watching AFC football, which I liked a lot more than the NFC version. Once I discovered that, I found out there was a team in my home state that was in the AFC, the Colts, and I've been a fan ever since.

8. saintskickass

saintskickass Special Teamer

I have been a saints fan since i was able to know what football was. I think it was 1990. I became a saints fan the first time i went to a game. We were playing the 49ers in the dome. I think the highest time as a saints fan was in 2000, but im forsure this year will be higher.

9. rich3200

rich3200 Guest

TRUE SILVER AND BLUE DALLAS COWBOY FAN

I've been a Dallas Cowboy fan since 1977. Back then I lived in my hometown New Orleans, Louisiana. That '77 season, my father was pro football every Sunday after church service and I wondered who was the team with the Blue Star on their helmets were. He told me all about Dallas, and I sat there in front of the tevlevision set for many, many weeks thereafter watching Roger Staubach lead the 'Boys to a 12-2 record and the NFC East title. Well......my old man told me that if I continued to do well in school and make good grades like A's and B's, he'd have a BIG surprise for me. I was always a smart kid in school making good grades, so that was no problem for me at all. Then came January 1978. The 'Boys were in the playoffs playing the Minnesota Vikings in the infamous "Hail Mary" game. I can still remember ol' Roger heaving the ball downfield with almosy no time on the clock to Drew Pearson. He caught the ball and walked into the end zone for the game-winning TD. I was going nuts jumping up and down in euphoria. The Vikings fans to this day continue to say that it was pass interference, but we all know better. Nonetheless, the Super Bowl weekend came upon us in New Orleans. Super Bowl XII to be exact. My pops and me went down to the Marriott Hotel and stood in the lobby talking to a guy who my father knew through his connections as an executive with Shell Oil Company. The guy was close to people in the Cowboy organization like Gil Brandt. About two hours later, the elevator door opens and two big football players walk towards us and intorduced themselves. The guy asked me, "Hey Rich, do you know who these guys are"? I didn't have a clue at first, but finally both Tony Dorsett and Drew Pearson intoduced themselves to me and I was stunned. My eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. I couldn't believe it. They all laughed at the look on my face as we all walked over to the restaurant inside the hotel. We ate and spent almost the entire day together. To top it off, my father and I received tickets to the game. We would sit on the 45-yard line towards the south end zone. Then came Sunday. My father and that excited 5-year old munchkin of a kid (me :-)) entered inside the Louisiana Superdome to witness history. The 'Boys dazzled the Broncos with trick plays and the running of Tony D, and overwhelmed them with the famous "Doomsday Defense". But the highlight of the game was the famous diving TD catch by Butch Johnson that put Dallas up for good at 20-10. And of course, the halfback TD pass from Robert Newhouse to Golden Richards was pretty nifty too. Afterwards, the Cowboys were world champions and I was almost in tears as they carried Tom Landry off the field. It was THE most memorable experience I've ever had. Seeing the Dallas Cowboys, America's Team, win Super Bowl XII right before my very eyes, live & in-person. Rest assured that since that fateful, joyful, and awesome weekend in New Orleans, I was a true Silver and Blue Dallas Cowboy fan. I was in tears when Dwight Clark made "The Catch" that ended Dallas's dominance over the NFL, and overjoyed when 11 years and a week to the day later, Alvin Harper returned the favor to the 49ers in the '92 NFC Title game. That game put Dallas back into the elite and re-established their rightful place as "America's Team" and "Team of the Decade" as well. No other team in sports has ever made an impact on this country's psyche. No other team ever will, either. At the end of the day, America's Team will always be the one and only............DALLAS COWBOYS!!!! :D

10. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Allright... Niners fan here.

I got used to watch TV for long periods of time... we only had local TV back in 1993 (I think, I don't remember the exact year) so we were limited in programming. I started liking professional sports like baseball and football. We all were soccer junkies here, but I was attracted to alternate choices.

My first baseball memory (going a little off-topic here) is Joe Carter blasting the WS-winning homer against the phillies in 1993. But I didn't become a Jays fan; I rented a baseball movie called Major Leagues and learned about the Cleveland Indians. Didn't know about their crappy history but I instantly fell in love with that team.

Ok, now football. I think someone gave me a cap for my birthday. You know, one of those thoughtless gifts, when you don't know what to get to your friend, go to Walmart and say "Allright, this ________ will be fine for him". So I wore the cap almost everyday and then I watched a football game in MNF with the same logo. "Los Cuarenta y Nueves de San Francisco" (The San Francisco 49ers). I watched a guy with a #8 red jersey and got shocked; he was damn good and called for my attention because he was lefty.

Months later I was about to do my first communion (a Roman Catholic back then, I'm an atheist now :roll: ), and knew the same day my 49ers were playing in the Super Bowl; I understood that was the "championship game" in the league and got so excited. I think we all finished and came back home at halftime and we were crushing the Chargers. I think Stan Humphries was their QB. I have a few flashbacks of the game, like Deion lining up as WR and almost catching a TD in the final minutes, George Siefert getting the gatorade shower, Jerry Rice owning the chargers secondary, Junior Seau being denied a championship (labeled as one of the best linebackers of the league) among other moments.

I watched the entire Packers - Niners game in 1998, Owens dropping so many balls during the whole game just to catch the game-winner from Steve Young's drop-back-and-almost-slip pbutt. I slowly learned the game's rules as well as the names of the other teams. I did not watch the game when that moron Aeneas Williams ended Young's career, but I do remember seeing a new QB, Jeff Garcia. At first I didn't like him (holy crap, Vin... :shock: ) but then I appreciated him more and more.

And, if everything goes my way, I'm attending to my first ever NFL game next October 2nd at Mexico City. :D Cards' season tickets holders can lick my balls all they want. :roll:

PS: Bears fan, touchy story... I'm very sorry to hear it, but I'm amazed by your strenght to overcome your losses. :)

11. Plummer16

Plummer16 Guest

I'm an Arizona Cardinal fan. I have been since 1996, which is over half my life being 16. I became one mainly because of Jake Plummer. My parents were huge Sun Devil fans and I watched a lot of games with them on TV in 1996. That was the year Jake Plummer took them to the National Championship (only to lose to OSU on the last drive because of our crappy defense). I then became a huge Plummer fan. I was already a Cardinal fan at that point, but not as big a fan as I became. When he was drafted by the Cards in the 97 draft in the 2nd round, I became a huge fan. My parents got me season tickets, and I've kept them ever since. The main reason my name on this board is Plummer16 is because he's why I became such a huge fan of the Cardinals. I don't avidly support him as a Bronco or anything.

12. Matt314hew

Matt314hew Mr. Impossible

I bleed black and gold. I have suffered through many tough seasons. The city of Pittsburgh basically expects too much out of the team. I have been to all of the Playoff games in pittsburgh and been sitting through 4 of the worst AFC Championships. But i can say i was there when the Steelers won the championship game in the 95 season. It was one to remember.

13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I first started to watch football at age 11, that is 1992. Even tough I grew up in Tijuana watching and following the SD Chargers, it was until I moved out that I started to take a closer look at the NFL. At that time, the Cowboy dinasty was starting to grow, with Aikman, Michael Irvin and my favorite player ever: EMMITT SMITH. That same year they won the SB and I was really happy. I became the biggest Cowboy fan in Mexico that year. Besides, most of my friends are 49er fans (ask Fez) and I love to piss them off :lol:

14. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Yeh, you really pissed me off tonight with your weak trash talk, TJ. :lol:

15. NinerFan325i

NinerFan325i Guest

I've been watching football pretty much since I've been around (but I'm a youngin :oops: ). My Dad is a big time 49er fan and I grew up watching the 49ers. Just loved the way they played the game, with the West Coast Offense and such. They really made me a fan of football, and made it very exciting to watch. I really have my more vivid memories of football throughout the 90s. Watching Steve Young and Jerry Rice was an honor. I wish the new 49ers could go back to the days of those legends. Ah well...49er for life here. :cool:

16. I am a Dallas Cowboy's fan, even though I have lived in CT all of my life, and have been since 1978. I saw the star on the helmet and number 12 play (Roger Staubach) and I was hooked for life. I like the Giants, as well, due to locality, but nobody will supplant the 'Boys. I have suffered through some ups and downs, just like everybody else on this board:

1979: Watching the Steelers beat the Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII was a downer, as the 'Boys came up a tad short in their comeback from a 35-17 deficit.

1980: Watching the Eagles (Whom I hate to this day) beat the Cowboys in the NFC Championship game.

1981: 'The Catch'. First time that I cried after watching a football game.

1982-1983: Playoff losses. Disgusted. Hogeboom throws 5 INT against the Redskins in '83.

1989: 1-15. But, even though a rookie QB goes 0-11 in his starts, I had a feeling that things would turn around.

1990-1996: The turn-around begins, as the team of the decade wins 3 SBs in 4 years.

That is all that I want to type at this time, as the rebuilding started shortly after this. But, things look promising, again, with Parcells at the helm. I'll be looking forward to a new era.

17. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

Redskins fan here.

The game started getting shown in the UK in 1983, I first seen it in 1984 and the Redskins were the first team I seen and with John Riggens being maybe the biggest superstar arounds that time I locked on to the 'Skins and have followed them ever since. Highlights for me:

*Winning two Super Bowls, XXII and XXVI.

*The 1991 season as a whole.

*Doing the double over the Turds in 1994-5 when they won the Super Bowl. Even massive bust Heath Shuler managed to get a win over them.

*1990-1 Play-off win vs the Eagles in the Vet, revenge for the bodybag game and led to Buddy Ryan getting fired.

*1992-3 Play-off win over the Vikings, Gibbs last win as a Redskins coach

*The return of Joe Gibbs.

The lowlights were:

*Norv Turnip as a whole.

*The current struggles in beating the Turds and the rest of the division as a whole, including the 1999 loss the the Turds in week 1 when we allowed them to launch a massive comeback.

*Steve Spurrier.

My favourite all time player is Gary Clark, part of "The Posse" of receivers the Skins had in the 80's and early 90's, I loved his big play ability and intensity. Darrell Green will always have a special place for me as well, 20 years a Redskin and played at the top of his game into his 40's. No one is a better role model for kids IMO.

18. Jacjr2002

Jacjr2002 Guest

Been a Skins fan since 91. Got to see the last Superbowl we were in. And then got to suffer through the next 15 years seeing a complete lack of a franchise with Norval, Schotty, Spurrier. Now we have Gibbs, so hopefully this trend will cease.

I have suffered with this team through thick and thin. And I plan on doing it for as long as Im still kickin.

19. Powerpro

Powerpro Guest

Been a Skins fan since about 75, although i lived in England, i used to visit my dad for my summer hols, he was based in Virginia and was datinga big titted Redskin fan, who bought me tons of Redskin gear, she also introduced me to Elvis, I loved that women.

20. Spanky

Spanky Special Teamer

Hmmm, I gotta think for a minute.... :roll:

Actually started off rooting for the Raiders in 1983. Then I watched the Patriots beat them in the Divisional Playoffs in 85, enroute to the Superbowl XX shellacking. At that point I was hooked on the home team.

It was interesting watching the lovable losers, although the early 90's became tedious. The days of Rod Rust, twinky Macphereson as coaches, Hugh Millen, Scott Secules and the rest of the no names just not doing anything to excite the fans.

Favorite players I've watched include Raymond Claibourne, Andre Tipett, Irving Fryer, John Hannah, Stanley Morgan, Lawyer Milloy, Willie Clay, Chris Slade, Ben Coates, etc...

Favorite moment was my first Pats game (Against Buffalo in '99. Score was like 9-3 Buffalo, but I was totally freaking hammered). It was cold, and me and the boys went with 2 cases of beer and no food.

Worst moment was The MNF game against the Packers at Foxboro. I was promised tix, drove down to the stadium to meet up with the dude who had the tickets and never found him. :x