Linebacker Position Biggest Question For Cowboys

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by rjpuckett, Jun 13, 2014.

1. rjpuckett

rjpuckett 2nd String

It is the same story different season for the Dallas Cowboys and Sean Lee. Lee is a very productive player and one of the team leaders, but he can’t seem to stay on the field. In four full seasons with the Cowboys Lee has not played a full season yet. Before Lee’s injury, it appeared as if the Cowboys would have a very good linebacking corps with Lee in the middle, Bruce Carter or Justin Durant on the weak side and DeVonte Holloman or Kyle Wilber on the strong side. To read a more detailed story on Sean Lee and his injury history, click here. […]

Read the whole post here.

2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

you look like Stone Cold. Seriously, the Cowboy's main problem is Jerry Jones. He should have kept Jimmy back in the day. Been losers ever since, not counting the other SB by his players. You can have a team full of HOFers and he will find a way to make them lose.

3. rjpuckett

rjpuckett 2nd String

Buck, You mentioned two of my favorite people in the world in Stone Cold and Jimmy Johnson. Wrestling was great back when you had "The Rock" and "Stone Cold Steve Austin". They were great. Jimmy Johnson is by far my favorite coach in all of football. Me being a coach as well, I have always studied Jimmy and hated when he and Jerry broke up. I am from Arkansas like Jerry so I like him as well, but like you said he has made many huge mistakes ever since letting Jimmy go. I hope that he has learned a lot working with Jimmy and Bill Parcells. I really believe that Dallas is close to winning a game or two in the playoffs. If they can just get their defense better. Losing Sean Lee is a big blow, but hopefully these young guys can step up and play well. I do think they have improved from last year to this year with their free agent signings and the draft.

Buck Fenson likes this.
  4. Buck Fenson

Unfortunately I think he is the new Al Davis. Thinking he knows more than anyone else about everything. That is good in the oil business but in player decisions that won't work. As a Saints fan I am enjoying every minute of the Cowboys' demise. But the fans deserve better than what they are getting at the moment. I just find it funny that he let Rob go and the defense went downhill hard. Not quite to the degree the Saints defense was horrible under Spags but close. Then Rob came here and brought the defense up from dead last to 4th. And the best tell is 4th or 5th in scoring defense. As long as Kiffen has any say in the defense, I assume he is still there but under a different title, they will be bad. That defense just don't work with the modern offenses. Time is ripe right now for the Cowboys to get their collective heads out of their rear end and take this division. The Eagles are in flux with their qb, Washington is slowly getting better possibly, and the Giants are so bi polar you can never tell which team will show up at any given time.

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Cowboys biggest issue is the defensive line hands down. The LB core was far from a strength even before Lee got hurt, but in a Tampa 2, as the DL goes, so goes the defense. LBs are ancillary.

Right now Im more concerned about who is pressuing the QB. Our 3 best rushers are a rookie and two guys that didnt combine for 100 snaps last season

6. Buck Fenson

maybe they will take this opportunity to shine. we will see.

7. Jihad Joe

Perhaps. There is some optimism in some of the down roster guys like Davon Coleman, Ken Bishop and Chris Whaley. However if any of those guys do hit, there 2014 impact is likley minimal. The best thing our DL going has right now is while they dont have a proven dominator on the outside ( Spencer would qualify but he is likley to lose quickness after micro surgery) in Spencer, D-Law, Selvie and Mincey they have 4 players worthy of snaps and can have a solid rotation. Selvie is someone to keep an eye on as he was on pace for 12 sacks by mid season before he hit the wall. He should be more effective in a rotation.

As far as LB. Broaduss is talking up Holloman at MIKE. I don't see it at all. He is athletic at has a nose for the ball, but he is not nearly cerebral enough for that position. He is a pure WILL. Hitchens is a much better fit at MIKE. Much more cerebral and better built to take on blockers. Long term I think he is our MIKE and Lee moves to WILL where he wont take as much punishment and can make plays. I dont have much confidence in Carter. I think he is a neo 3-4 guy. Looked dominant in a penetrating 3-4 but was lost in a cover 2. At MIKE, I think Wilber is primed. He looked good in the half a season he started last year and as a converted edge rusher gives you some pass rush ability you dont usually have in traditional backers.

8. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Where do all of you think Durant fits in the LB equation? Since he's been in the NFL for 8 years now, he has the most experience of all the LBs that are there now.

9. Jihad Joe

Cut if he isnt a starter, he wont beat Wilber and isnt gonna be able to play Mike or Will in real games

IMO a week 8 street FA of injuries hit again. Thats where I think he fits

10. rjpuckett

rjpuckett 2nd String

Ragman, Durant will be one of the guys battling for that middle spot. I think he is too small and they should leave him at the weak side spot. He should battle Bruce Carter for that spot and let DeVonte Holloman and Anthony Hitchens battle it out for the middle spot.

11. rjpuckett

rjpuckett 2nd String

Jihad Joe, I do not think they will cut Durant. The coaching staff seems to really like Durant. Garrett speak highly of him. I think his best fit is at the weak side spot.