Lions Leaning Towards Starting Matthew Stafford Soon?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by SRW, Jun 1, 2009.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said there will be strong competition for the starting quarterback job between QB Matthew Stafford and QB Daunte Culpepper this offseason. "The last minicamp in June, we're going to have an arms race,'' Schwartz said. If Stafford shows he is the best quarterback, he could start as early as Week 1. Schwartz has been impressed with Stafford's delivery thus far. "We've got two criteria for when Matthew will play,'' said Schwartz. "One is he'll play when he's ready. The second is when he's the best quarterback for us. But so far, whatever the opposite of buyers' remorse is, that's what we have. We knew he had the terrific NFL arm. But we've found out his release is just textbook classic.''

Source:
    Sports Illustrated

2. -Scar-

-Scar- Doomship Commander-In-Chi

This Would Be Foolish But What Do You Expect From The Lions?

3. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

I'm sure they looked at how well Ryan and Flacco did as rookies this past season and say well why the hell can't Stafford do just as good? Picked higher, paid more, and was a better prospect then the two mentioned.

4. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Exactly what I thought would happen. Teams fold into the pressure of starting a 1st round draft pick too often, whether he's ready or not. For their sake they better hope he doesn't turn out like Joey Harrington.

5. lionheart?

lionheart? StafFORD=Franchise

Hey blazer dont say the "J" word man. lol I hope if they start him he does well. Schwartz is smart he will get it right.

6. Weezy

Weezy Ice Cold

:icon_thumleft: WOOOOOOO :blob8:

Joey Joey Joey

I mean matty matty matty Harrington

7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Ryan and Flacco did ok because their teams had decent offensive lines.

If the Lions try the same, they'll shatter Stafford's confidence. Just ask Alex Smith and David Carr what happens to promising 1st picks when they get thrown out there with awful offensive lines.

For their own sake...don't do it. Let Culpepper get killed while you build an offensive line, not your $80 million QB.

8. Gehring53

Gehring53 2008 National Champs

true,true,true

9. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

or just ask Aikman and Peyton... Peyton's Oline was junk and he had 2 rookies starting, and a super bust Tony Mandarich in his last season in front of him.

The results of quarterbacks being thrown to the wolves in the first season vary.

By all indications the Lions O-line should be improved.

10. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

Stafford May Start In Lions Opener

I think the Lions are confident that, even if Matthew Stafford's not ready to start in the opener, that he's far enough along that he could go in as a backup if something happened to Daunte Culpepper. But, like I said on Twitter (you ARE following me, right?) I believe Stafford will be the starter for Week 1.

Source: MLive.com

11. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Say hello to the new David Carr.