Look there goes another Major League scandal. Yawn!

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by SportsChump, Feb 5, 2020.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

There I stood in the batter’s box, a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed 15 years old, pants a little too baggy but with a keen eye for the baseball and ready to strike.

The pitcher stood on the mound some 60 feet away communicating with his catcher, shaking his head either yes or no to confirm whether he liked the call he was getting.

I’d be lying to you if I told you, when I knew that I had time to peek down, that I’d never looked down between the catcher’s legs to his hands within his mitt to see if I could steal a sign.

Of course, at fifteen, pitchers threw about two pitches effectively, if they were lucky. If I could spot the catcher holding one finger (fastball) or two fingers (curve), I’d have an edge… or so I thought. Things were a lot simpler back then.

Carry on at: http://sportschump.net/2020/02/05/look-goes-another-major-league-scandal-yawn/21610/

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

All I will say is...if the Astros don't get their WS title stripped, then they got to reinstate Pete Rose. They absolutely have to...this is a trillion times worse than gambling IMO.

3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out, Teej.

Baseball can hardly be seen as soft on this but then again, do they want another blemish of a team (or two) being stripped of its title?

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

YES!! They got to!! I have been reading stories about border line major league pitchers who got their careers pretty much destroyed after being hit by the Astros over and over and over again. Yu Darvish went on record saying "well, at least now I know I'm not crazy" or something like that.

Do you have any idea how much easier hitting gets when you know exactly which pitch is coming? It's like playing tee ball!!

This is worst than gambling, worst than PEDs...this is really messing with the competitive balance in a professional sports league. MLB went way too soft. The 2017 and 2018 World Series should be considered vacant or cancelled and all involved players/managers/masterminds should be banned for life and put in jail...well, that's maybe going too far (at least the jail part), but that shows you how pissed off I am about this...

5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Imagine if it was discovered that Bill Bellichick got his hands on some super-secret technology that allowed him to bug his opponents headsets without being detected, and then a few years later he got caught. Turns out the only reason he made it to 9 super bowls in 20 years is because he always knew what the other team was going to do. Wouldn't you want all his rings stripped? I know I would.

6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Speaking of scandals, I wonder if you have anything to say about this week's comments from the -former- Mariners minority owner. I'm a Mariners fan, and I got a lot of alerts regarding this, especially the minor-league time manipulation that was an "open secret" but now there's evidence that it happens and the players association is both pissed and pleased about it, because they finally have proof and can bargain about it.

7. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Oh, it's in the works. Stay tuned.

TJ likes this.
  8. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

9. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I really enjoyed this one.

At this point every time an old white dude goes viral for racist comments like that, it feels like "just another day", right? I'm not sure he learned his lesson...they hardly ever do. He's probably sitting in his mansion drinking scotch wondering why the team owner asked for his immediate resignation so vehemently...and it's ok. This has been going on for 200 years, it will take 200 more at least to finally end this, and maybe I'm falling short...

10. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Yeah, Teej, glad we're on the same page on this one and glad you were so eagerly expecting a post on the matter.

And as far as that another 200 years, I'm with you. I'll definitely take the over. Assuming we can even make it that far.

I wonder how many point per game LeBron will be averaging by then. One would think they'd have to cut his minutes.

TJ likes this.
  11. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I don't know, Chump, but I'm pretty sure Tom Brady will get very drunk again, after celebrating his 98th Super Bowl ring.

12. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

And I'll be there with my walker and tricked out golf cart cheering him on.