Looking Ahead: Drew Brees Already Focusing On Future

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Saintsfan1972, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

He likely won't get a sniff in the league MVP voting this year, won't be bringing home the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year trophy again, won't be dislocating his non-throwing elbow in February's Pro Bowl.

Yet that doesn't mean that Saints quarterback Drew Brees, the unequivocal heart and soul of the franchise, didn't have a successful 2007 season, though he cannot bring himself to even utter the cumulative record from a disappointing campaign.

"I feel like our team is good enough to have gone to the playoffs," Brees said this week before embarking on a likely more quiet offseason than he experienced following last season's magical ride to the NFC championship game. "I feel like we were that kind of a team.

"Obviously, our record didn't show that and therefore we're not in it. It's disappointing because you see how much we invested and the type of guys we have. You could easily look around and say 'These guys deserve to be going to the playoffs.' The fact is we're 7 and 9. That's hard to say: 7 and 9 is hard to say. So I'm not going to say it anymore."

If you throw out Brees' performance in the Saints' first four games in 2007, his numbers are nothing short of phenomenal.

Brees threw one touchdown and nine interceptions in New Orleans' opening four losses, then rebounded to throw 27 touchdowns against nine interceptions in the final 12 games.

He set an NFL record for completions in a season (435) and team records for touchdown passes (28), yards in a season (4,423) and completion percentage (67.5), while tying the team mark for attempts in a game (60).

There's no mistaking Brees' importance to the Saints.

"We have a nucleus here -- starting with the quarterback -- that we feel like we can win a championship with," Coach Sean Payton told reporters in his final press conference of the season. "And you just keep building around him and putting the right guys in the locker room, and that's going to be the key for us."

For his part, Brees said he can only dissect the strengths and weaknesses of the Saints' offense, since that is his primary focus.

NOLA.com

2. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I'm sure he's just frustrated knowing he could have been in Miami instead of going 7-9 this year.:icon_cheesygrin:

3. Brees-2-Colston

Brees-2-Colston Starter

Just imagine if he had more than Just Colston and sometimes Patten to throw at!! There is gonna be a big shake up of the Saints WR's coming up Henderson and Patten I think will be let go (unless they accept league minimum wage). Meachem will become good for us it will be like having 2 1st round draft picks this year! And there are a few guy's in FA who could get excited by Brees and our throw, throw, throw offence!!

4. eaglesrule4ever

eaglesrule4ever Pro Bowler

But they rather come to philly with no true number 1 reciever if your a young talented reciever go to philly you will be a starter.

5. 49erGenius

49erGenius Banned

Is Drew Brees possibly coming to the Eagles if McNabb leaves? That sounds too remote to me, why would Brees want to leave? I say he made a good transition from Chargers to Saints...I don't know aobut Eagles. Plus the Eagle fan base can be picky if you're not doing good. I hope they're not picking up bad habits from New York.:icon_redface:

6. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

he's a GOD in new orleans......he isn't going anywhere