Maryland's Gary Williams Retires

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by cpgobrowns, May 5, 2011.

1. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

After a legendary head coaching career spanning 33 years, including 22 years at the University of Maryland, his alma mater, Gary Williams has announced his retirement as head men's basketball coach. Williams will join Maryland Athletic Director Kevin Anderson and University President Dr. Wallace D. Loh at a press conference on Friday, May 6 at 1 p.m. in Comcast Center. The public is encouraged to attend. A member of the University of Maryland Alumni Hall of Fame, University of Maryland Sports Hall of Fame, Greater Washington Sports Hall of Champions, and the Baltimore Sports Legends Museum Hall of Legends, Williams is the 5th winningest active coach in the country, and 3rd in the Atlantic Coast Conference behind only Dean Smith and Mike Krzyzewski. In his 33 years as a head coach, he amassed an overall record of 668-380 (.637) and 461-252 (.646) at Maryland.

Gary Williams Announces Retirement

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  2. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Peace out Gary

3. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

Yeah I'm pretty devastated. I do not believe for one second he's retiring because he wants to. I'm more than positive he was pushed out of his job, just like Ralph was with the football team.

When new people come in, they want "their" guys and that's exactly what's going on now. Gary might be staying at an assistant to the program, but that just means he's a puppet in my eyes for people to believe they are doing the correct job.

Thanks for the good time Gary!

4. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

End of an era!

5. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

If he could just coach basketball, he'd never retire. He has never liked the recruiting side anyway. Now that the AAU coaches are all demanding jobs/cash/whatever else for their kids, and they only stay for a year anyway, he's out. Jordan Williams going pro was probably the last straw. Why start over again?