Mike McKenzie Named New Orleans Saints Man Of The Year

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Saintsfan1972, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

After serving as one of the leading advocates for underprivileged youth in the region since arriving in New Orleans four years ago, CB Mike McKenzie has been named the 2007 New Orleans Saints Walter Payton Man of the Year as voted on by members of the media, Saints front office and local non-profit and business executives.

McKenzies 34 Ways Foundation is dedicated to supporting children by building character and discipline with programs such as his annual youth football camp in New Orleans. He is a constant visitor to ailing children at area hospitals, where his trademark long braids and electric personality make him a favorite. McKenzie also reaches out as part of the Saints Community Patrol, a United Way project for inner-city kids at the teams facility for a week of football drills and life lessons.

McKenzie helped install a Youth Fitness Zone at Lakeview Playground in New Orleans and also recently hosted 50 high school students at the Superdome for a seminar about money management, financial matters and the responsibility that comes with growing up.

Mike has been an enthusiastic contributor to our team. He has numerous worthy teammates but Mike has embraced the community and made strides each year to increase the programs he is involved with, said Owner/Executive Vice President Rita Benson LeBlanc. His vivacious nature is contagious and his foundation has reached out to positively impact the youth of our area with fun initiatives that leave a resounding message of hope and inspiration.

McKenzie is now a finalist for the league-wide 2007 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award. The prestigious award has been in existence since 1970 and is the only NFL award that honors players who demonstrate outstanding balance in their lives between civic and professional responsibilities. In 1999, the league renamed the award after the late Walter Payton as a tribute to his greatness, both on and off the field. QB Drew Brees won the league-wide award in 2006.

Source: NewOrleansSaints.com

2. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Congrats Mike! I still miss him.

3. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

yeah, he's an all around great dude. i didn't realize it, but the td in last weeks game was the first one he's given up all year. i wish he'd get some probowl consideration.

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

^^ That's why I miss him

5. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

That's excellent. Always nice to see the good stories about players and what they do and how they give back instead of just the bad things. Way to go Mike!!