Money In The Bank Preview

Discussion in 'Wrestling Talk' started by andy82, Jul 10, 2011.

1. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Have done a couple of these lately so I thought I'd make it more of a regular thing.

[​IMG]

John Cena (c) vs. CM Punk for the WWE Championship

Well the internet seem to almost be in denial that CM Punk is leaving, coming up with several scenarios and theories in which he stays. However, I also know that creative tend to either come up with bland feuds, or find a way of taking a hot angle and slowly destroying it (See Nexus), so even if Punk does stick around this is likely to degenerate back into SuperCena booking. Likely though, Cena wins, gets cashed in on and sets up his next feud.

But future aside, this could have the potential of being a match of the year candidate, the Chicago crowd will be red hot for Punk (especially in his potential departure) and no doubt crap over Cena, a hot angle (as of writing) and CM's canny ability to carry almost anyone to a solid match. If they avoid SuperCena booking and let them put on a match without any nonsense, this could be worth the PPV fee alone.

Randy Orton (c) vs. Christian for the World Heavyweight Championship

Sure these guys are putting on some good matches, but the forced nonsensical heel turn, constant Orton victories and heatless feud is making me struggle to get excited for this one. Going by the Sheamus interactions, it would suggest that Christian will be stepping aside one way or another, whether it being interference or MITB cash-in, to become the next participant of Orton's Smackdown reign of terror. In my opinion, Orton wins, with a possible cash in or Sheamus interaction in some form.

Kelly Kelly (c) vs. Brie Bella for the WWE Divas Championship

WWE has talent like Natalya, Beth Phoenix, Gail Kim, Melina, AJ...even Eve, that can put on a good match in any time given, so we get treated to the least talented of the bunch. Obviously it makes sense to put the belt on K2 has she's probably the move over diva at the moment, but she can't wrestle, and hasn't progressed since she started out nearly five years ago. Bella's aren't exactly great either and I don't really care for them. K2 retains in a short piss break match.

RAW Money in the Bank Ladder Match: Winner gets a contract for a WWE Title shot up to one year: Alex Riley vs The Miz vs Jack Swagger vs R-Truth vs Evan Bourne vs Alberto Del Rio vs Rey Mysterio vs Kofi Kingston

Lets review one by one

Alex Riley: There's something likeable about A-Ry, a bit green, but seems pretty over (although that will be tested once his feud with Miz is done). Can't see him getting the Money in the Bank yet though.

The Miz: I don't think he needs it, and winning it again wouldn't help him in convincing the fans that he's a legitimate main eventer, but even so, I can imagine him winning as it would play up to his chickencrap persona further.

Jack Swagger: If you need prove of MITB not being a good way of creating a main eventer, Swagger is it. His transformation into the bastardization of Kurt Angle and SRS Chris Jericho when winning the World Heavyweight Championship was brutal and only since he got paired with Michael Cole did he manage to dig himself out of a hole. Had Cole stayed as his manager then I could imagine him getting another shot, but in his current rendition, I'd be shocked if he got the win.

R-Truth: Seems to have disappeared a bit lately and at his age in a WWE needing to create new stars, I would be surprised if he won, unless he loses his cash in to further his conspiracy shtick. Otherwise, I don't think the Truth will be set free in the Raw main event.

Evan Bourne: Filling up Shelton Benjamin's role of MITB spot monkey, Evan is highly unlikely to win, not because he's small, but because on the mic he makes Daniel Bryan look like The Rock or Mick Foley.

Alberto Del Rio: Probably the favourite to win. He's had a feud win over Rey Mysterio (Which is rarer than a Pittsburgh Pirates winning season), a Royal Rumble win, many title shots...but yet he gets little heat from the crowd and hasn't really given us a reason to care for him. That said, the WWE are high on him (apparently a great backstage politician if those sources can be trusted) and are trying everything to get him over, plus a feud with Cena would seem like a natural progression.

Rey Mysterio:Over the hill, boring, stale and doesn't need the win. That said, you can never rule out everyone's favourite underdog...sigh.

Kofi Kingston: Been in career wilderness since the Stupid Stupid Stupid MSG incident of 09, and stuck in an endless feud with Dolph Ziggler, it's a shame that someone who seems to be a true all round talent and popular with the fans can't catch a break. I would be over the moon if he did win, but I can't see it happening.

In short, Alberto Del Rio and The Miz are my favourites for the win.

Smackdown Money in the Bank Ladder Match: Winner gets a contract for a World Heavyweight Title shot up to one year: Daniel Bryan vs Sin Cara vs Kane vs Wade Barrett vs Sheamus vs Cody Rhodes vs Heath Slater vs Justin Gabriel

Daniel Bryan: Still getting consistent wins in the mid card and gradually getting more mic time, I doubt he gets the win here, but it would appear that someone in management likes him (thank god).

Sin Cara: See the assumption here would be that with the mega hype that the WWE are giving the former Mistico, he would be the favourite. However, with him working sloppy and still being relatively new, I would presume that they will hold the horses on him for now.

Kane: Our designated catcher of the Smackdown Money in the Bank match, doubt he gets the win, but hey, who gave him a chance of winning last year?

Wade Barrett: This time last year, Barrett was main eventing and leading a stable in the hottest feud in years...now, he's coming off the Corre split up after jobbing to Ezekiel Jackson and doesn't seem to have much direction at the moment...which could mean that he may be a candidate for victory. Can give in hope though...

Sheamus: Overwhelming favourite. He's been featuring in the Smackdown main event since joining the brand and has recently been pushed as being a monster which they should have been doing all along! Plus he has been involved heavily in the Christian/Orton feud which would provide logical continuity in Smackdown. I know you guys don't like him, but he has gotten so much better since his first title reign and would be deserving of a return to the championship scene.

Cody Rhodes: Would actually have Cody as my second favourite. There is already a feud built for him and Randy, and Cody has been getting a good slow burning push over the last year or so. My only issue with him is that his current character with the bagging and the facemask has become quite stale.

Heath Slater: Almost no chance. Still, I think there's a future for Slater, an all round good worker, fantastic seller (See WM27) and just oozes the heelish qualities of a slimey chicken crap character who you'd love to pay money just to see being slapped. Plus, he probably has one of the most epic voices in the WWE and would be worth winning the MITB just to hear him on the mic more.

Justin Gabriel: Spot monkey, got even less chance of winning than Evan Bourne. Career Mid Carder.

In short, Sheamus and Cody Rhodes are the favourites here.

Big Show vs Mark Henry

Mark Henry and awesome seems like two things that don't match, but that's exactly what he's been in this feud with the Big Show. Infact, I wouldn't mind him slapping Orton around for a bit. Chances are that Big Show gets revenge and the victory sadly, but I'm sure that this will be a mildly entertaining battle between the big two guys.

I would presume a tag match will be added to the card between the Nexus & The Usos, with the Usos getting the win.