NBA Approves Name Change For Charlotte From Bobcats To Hornets

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by Sportsguy, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

The Charlotte Hornets are back.

The NBA Board of Governors unanimously approved changing the Charlotte Bobcats name back to the Hornets beginning for the 2014-15 season during its summer meeting Thursday in Las Vegas.

The Hornets brand became available when the New Orleans Pelicans officially gave it up earlier this year as part of their own name change. The Charlotte Hornets moved to New Orleans in 2002, and the Bobcats joined the league as an expansion team in '04. Commissioner David Stern said Bobcats owner Michael Jordan has been in discussions to get the Hornets name back since he bought the team in 2010.

"We're thrilled to bring back the Hornets to Charlotte and the Carolinas," Jordan said in a statement. "The passion and enthusiasm around this name change by fans in this market has been unmatched. They overwhelmingly told us what they wanted, we listened and we couldn't be happier with the Board of Governors' approval of the name change. With the young team we are developing on the court, the direction of our business and the return of the Hornets name, we are extremely excited about our future. The buzz is back!"

The Hornets led the NBA in attendance for seven consecutive seasons in Charlotte, but the Bobcats have not been as successful in the market, which spurred the movement to return to the name.

Source: ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2013
  2. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

BRING BACK THE TEAL AND PURPLE!

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Good for Charlotte. The New Orleans Pelicans is a dumb name...IMO.

4. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Yeah...But it's funny. Whenever you watch one of their games, you will laugh

5. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

People watch their games?

6. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Of cours...LOL! That one almost got by me!

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

I agree. When i first heard the pelicans name, i thought it was a joke. Worst name ever for a major sports team

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Minor League Baseball...

9. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Myrtle Beach Pelicans. Real team

10. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Glad the Charlotte Hornets are back. I agree "Pelicans" is a joke of a team name, their logo is badass though.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

Lol...case and point.

12. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Never was on board with Pelicans.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

In case anyone was wondering the history:

[​IMG]

And here is the Charlotte Hornets logos as well:

[​IMG]

14. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I really love the pelicans logos. But the name is still goobered.

15. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

This is a great logo. [​IMG]

What New Orleans has, sucks. And the color scheme is god awful. Couldn't mix it up a little bit?