NFL Explains Steelers LB James Harrison's Roughing The Passer Penalty

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by Sweets, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

In the fourth quarter of the Pittsburgh Steelers' 14-3 win over the Cleveland Browns last night, Steelers linebacker James Harrison was penalized 15 yards for roughing the passer after making helmet-to-helmet contact with Browns quarterback Colt McCoy, who was out of the pocket and appeared to be a runner at the time. The NFL has released the following explanation for why Harrison was flagged for roughing the passer: "When a passer is outside the pocket area as in the case of Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy last night, he is still afforded the protection of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 13 (3), which prohibits defensive players from using their helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture, including by 'forcibly hitting the passer’s head or neck area with the helmet or facemask, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the passer by encircling or grasping him'". McCoy exited the game with an apparent concussion, with McCoy's father teeing off on the Browns for allowing his son to return the field two plays later. The NFL is also reviewing the Browns' decision to let McCoy play with the team. According to Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com, Harrison will likely face a substantial fine, but is not expected to be suspended for the play.

Source: Mac's Football Blog

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't this why they don't throw the flag when Mike Vick was hit "late?". Because he's outta the pocket and a "rusher?".

3. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Doesn't Vick usually actually make plays with his feet though? The difference is Vick is likely to actually rush maybe?

Honestly I don't know every NFL rule has so many potential outcomes...

4. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

A rule is a rule, it shouldn't be flexed based on if a player "actually makes plays with his feet".

5. Dragonite

I agree, but every NFL rule is so up in the air that the Refs have no clue what they are supposed to call and what they shouldn't call.

Its in my opinion the worst rule book in the sports world. Everything seems to just be up to Refs descretion and the NFL always agrees with the Refs call rather than admit they need to clearly define the lines of rules like this.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

So different rules for different players based on the "style" of each player? :icon_scratch:

7. Rottstein

Rottstein Rookie

I, admittedly, didn't watch the game. Was he defenseless as they say? That may be the distinction. If he were in a situation like say just after a throw where he needed to plant and Harrison went in helmet first. If he were just running though, that isn't defenseless no matter how you look at it.

8. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

he hecked colt mccoy up

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFW-Yezv0k]James Harrison hit on Colt McCoy 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

No doubt it will be a fine. As usual, I hope they fine the "hit" and not the result...

11. Rottstein

Rottstein Rookie

Geez the ball went in front of him. You don't need to hit a guy just to hit him. Some of these players take their 'intimidation' role a bit too seriously.

12. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

McCoy is 4th in rushing among NFL QBs, although admittedly way behind the top 3.

13. cpgobrowns

As usual, I hope they punish the repeat offender.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

Problem is he wasn't a passer...he ran at least nine steps before being hit...

[​IMG]

15. cpgobrowns

The problem is (once again) the crown of the helmet to the facemask.

NFL rules provide special protection to defenseless players, by prohibiting (a) hits delivered to their head or neck area by an opponent with his helmet (including facemask), forearm, or shoulder, and (b) hits delivered by an opponent with his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/"hairline" parts) against any part of the defenseless player's body (i.e., "butting, spearing, or ramming" a defenseless player.)

Defenseless players are defined as (a) a player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;.....

League's Official Player Safety Rules | NFL.com

16. Dragonite

I was making fun of the NFL's inability to make a consistent rule and also trying to understand their goobered reasoning for everything they do.

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

He wasn't a passer...that's the point I'm arguing here. The NFL's explanation is inaccurate.

18. Rottstein

Rottstein Rookie

What is your definition of not a passer? They say he is a passer even though he is out of the pocket. You are saying he isn't but by what criteria are you making this claim?

He just threw the ball before he got hit, that makes him a passer AND Harrison saw him throw the pbutt. He knew he was a passer as well.

He may have seen him trying to run, but once he picked that ball back up and threw it, he was again a passer and defenseless. Sort of like re-establishing yourself back in the field of play on a touchback by getting both feet out of the endzone before touching the ball.

1 person likes this.
  19. cpgobrowns

Are you just saying the NFL just didn't explain it very well, are you saying it wasn't illegal, or are you trolling?

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

The NFL's explanation is bullcrap. I won't argue that the hit was helmet-to-helmet and a fine is coming. However, he wasn't a passer. He tucked the ball, ran at least 9 steps and threw a lateral. It wasn't a forward pbutt. He was a runner the whole time.