NFL Explains Steelers LB James Harrison's Roughing The Passer Penalty

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by Sweets, Dec 9, 2011.

1. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

But the rule I quoted doesn't say forward pbutt. But, it doesn't matter. It was thrown from the Steelers 40 and caught at the Steelers 39.

PBUTT AND PBUTTER
    Article 1 A Pass is the movement of the ball caused by the runner who throws, shoves (shovel pass), or pushes (push pass) the ball (3-28-1).

FORWARD PBUTT
    Article 2It is a Forward Pass if:
    (a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hands;

Article 2A
    Running Play is a play during which there is a runner and which is not followed by a kick or forward
    pass from behind the scrimmage line.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/6_Rule3_Definitions.pdf

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

The rule you stated isn't the rule the NFL stated...

3. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

The NFL doesnt know their own rulebook?

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

This

And this.

5. cpgobrowns

But, you were saying the rule they stated isn't correct because he isn't a passer. I'm saying he was a passer in that situation, so then it appears that Harrison violated the rule whichever way it is stated. I say fine him for one rule and suspend him for the other.

6. myCoch

myCoch Rookie

It doesn't matter whether he threw the ball or not. Helmet to helmet will draw a flag. And if Harrison hit the receiver, same result.

7. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Kinda agree with that ^^^^^

8. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I think this is another case of James Harrison being an idiot. He should be suspended. He continues to lead with his helmet even after all of the fines. He's a douche.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

He was clearly a runner as the ball was tucked and he ran 9 steps and then decided to lateral the ball.

As far as fines and suspensions. Wouldn't be surprised if he got slapped with one at all...

10. Rottstein

Rottstein Rookie

I just looked again at the video on the first page of this thread. It was a forward pbutt. He threw the ball from behind the 40 and the guy caught it past the 40, unless his arms are 6 feet long (since he was reaching back) this was a forward pbutt.

11. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

James Harrison is the man.

12. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

How are you going to say that was a lateral, it was clearly a pass which his wideout caught, and Harrison saw the throw and instead of lowering his body and hitting McCoy in the chest, led with his helmet and smacked him right in the head.

Harrison SHOULD BE suspended, he easily could have ruined a guys career and his life with that hit.

13. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Y'all crazy.

Go run FULL SPEED at a tree and stop two steps before you get there. Those guys don't have time to think they just react.

14. Rottstein

Rottstein Rookie

He was never running full speed at all. He took two steps toward McCoy and blasted him, McCoy had thrown away the ball after one step.

No one is saying he shouldn't have hit him, just that he hit him maliciously, and he did the helmet to helmet hit on purpose. He knew the ball was gone, he could have just pushed him, but he instead aimed his helmet at that kids head and blasted him.

15. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

This.....
    All hits are malicious it's a contact sport

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

16. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

He didn't aim anything dude. It's reaction not planning.

You've never played a down of football in your life have you?

17. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Doesn't sound like he has.

18. Rottstein

Rottstein Rookie

Did you Watch the play, not the one on page two where he comes out of nowhere... watch the one on page one where you can see both of the almost the entire play. He was taking an angle as if mccoy was gonna run after he peeled off of the WR, then when McCoy raised his hand to throw he took two steps toward him and blasted him, the ball was out after one of those steps.

There was no full speed running at all he just launched at him. If his first reaction, as which seems to be the case, is to put his helmet down and ram it into the opposing players head, then his reactionary plays need to stop.

19. cpgobrowns

You can say it's instinct (like Jamie Dukes did on NFL network) but that's irrelevant. Bottom line is there was a safer way to make that tackle, and Harrison didn't do it. He chose to blow him up (AGAIN). Fines didn't work before. If the NFL wants these hits out of the game, they have to suspend him.

20. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

I guess this board has gone the way of the NFL when it comes to "violence on the field"

KITTYFIED.