NFL Rules One James Harrison Hit Legal, Still Reviewing Second Hit

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by 86WARD, Oct 19, 2010.

1. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

At the risk of ending the world as we know it I will have to agree with you.... devastating is too vague. It sure is good they aren't writing a new rule, huh :icon_cheesygrin:

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

You never know...maybe they adjust the verbiage on all of it...lol.

The bottom line for me is that I hope they judge the hit and not the result of the hit.

3. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

We all (league included) agree on that.

4. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

I don't know about that, Phigles. Robinson's hit was the most serious but Pereira said it was not as bad as the others and not blatantly intentional. Meriweather's was probably the worst. But they got the same fine.

5. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

AGAIN... intent doesn't matter in the rules any more then results. It's mechanics. They make these rule in the first place because of the POTENTIAL imjury results but what actually happens to either player after the hit is not supposed to matter.
    For what it's worth I am only arguing about whether it should be a penalty. Alot goes into amount of fine levied and I have no clue on how they settle on what they settle on. I don't care to get into fine amounts and appropriateness. If it were me I would have fined Robinson less then the others but I would have fined him none the less. Robinson's was the closest to being legal but it wasn't. Robinson's split second reaction was against the rules. He drove up with his helmet hitting into Desean's.

6. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

:rollinglaugh:

RIIC

As far as Harrison, I'd take that beast on the Bears any day...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  7. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Tarkus always speaks the truth.

8. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

:icon_smile:

I've watched both hits & got no problem with either. He's a beast, plain & simple. In other words, exactly what you want on an intimidating D.

Funny how the league is putting these under a spotlight while embracing the rich history of bone shattering monsters from yesteryear like Butkus, LT, Hendricks, Bell, Lanier, Nitschke, Lambert, etc., etc., etc.

All played with almost a license to kill mentality & were rewarded with either HoF credentials or accolades as being some of the best to play the position while nowadays those same traits are getting players vilified.

Either make this a flag football league or leave our football alone, Goodell.

P.S. I do, however, find it funny to keep hearing Harrison slammed by a Raven fan who must forget a certain Ray Lewis on his team. :icon_smile: