NFL Says Chiefs S Husain Abdullah Should Not Have Been Flagged For Celebration Vs The Patriots

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by DaBears22, Sep 30, 2014.

1. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Husain Abdullah should not have received a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty after dropping to his knees and bowing in prayer following a 39-yard interception return for a touchdown during the Kansas City Chiefs' 41-14 victory over the New England Patriots on Monday night, the NFL said Tuesday.

According to Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1 (d), "Players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations or demonstrations while on the ground."

"However, the officiating mechanic in this situation is not to flag a player who goes to the ground as part of religious expression, and as a result, there should have been no penalty on the play," NFL spokesman Michael Signora said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, a civil liberties and advocacy organization, issued a statement early Tuesday asking that the NFL take steps in response to the penalty.

"To prevent the appearance of a double standard, we urge league officials to clarify the policy on prayer and recognize that the official made a mistake in this case," CAIR spokesman Ibrahim Hooper said.

After Monday's game, Abdullah told reporters that he thought the referees were flagging him for the slide, not prostrating in sajdah -- a common Muslim practice.

"For me, I just got a little too excited," Abdullah said, according to the Kansas City Star. "I think it was for the slide."

ESPN