NFL Says Lions Can Pass On The Top Pick In The Draft

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by MediaGuy, Apr 7, 2009.

1. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

The Detroit Lions have the first overall pick in the draft and, according to the league, there are no rules prohibiting the Lions from skipping the pick and waiting until they're good and ready to make that selection. The Lions aren't likely to do that, of course, but why wouldn't they at least look at the possibilities? If the Lions really want to draft Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford - and want to save some money, too - why not wait until the No. 3 pick to do it?

Source: MLive.com

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

That's always a possibility. But they're not the Vikings :lol:

3. lionheart?

lionheart? StafFORD=Franchise

Souds like a good idea within the rules, but Im sure would draw negative attention from other teams. Keep in mind that we will have to trade with teams eventually and they would not forget that crap.

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

can you imagine a team doing this? i think it would be hilarious. if they didn't select in time, they wouldn't forfeit the pick, they would just use the pick at anytime later in the draft. of course, knowing the Lions, they would forget they had it until the 7th round.

5. lionheart?

History says they will heck it up nomatter where it is.

6. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I will laugh my freakin butt off. If they aren't able to pull off some trade where they get a different top 10 pick coupled with a 2nd or a 3rd then they need to make some changes to the staff.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's not a bad thought from a business perpective...

8. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

I actually think it's a great idea, the cost associated with the first pick is ridiculous, why not let someone else dish out the cash?

9. lionheart?

Agreed but it would be considered bad ethics. Imagine your team has the third or fourth pick and Detroit jumps in and snatches it from you, that would suck and piss a whole bunch of people off.

10. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

If a team ever does it, every team with the 1st pick in the future will do it (provided there's no player really worth the pick) until... the league make a rule to prevent it.

11. alkaholik

alkaholik Jack Daniels is my god

Let them do it, if someone picks the player they wanted, they wont look too bright.

If they skip #1, STL should draft stafford and then hold him ransom to the lions for the #2 overall and a 4th rounder.