NFL Says No Violations By Buccaneers On Final Kneeldown Vs Giants

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Buccaneers' started by Sweets, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The final kneeldown of the Giants' 41-34 win over the Buccaneers Sunday dominated the post-game conversation, but the NFL won't get involved, Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

Bucs defensive linemen dove helmet-first at the Giants offensive linemen's knees on the final play to run out the clock. Quarterback Eli Manning ended up on the turf, and the Giants said the Buccaneers players told them they were following coach Greg Schiano's orders.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said no action will be taken by the league regarding the play.

"There is nothing further on the incident at the end of the game," Aiello wrote in an e-mail message. "There were no violations on the play or afterwards that would require follow up from our office."

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

can you say what's good for the goose is good for the gander? The Bucs may have a long IR list before too long.

3. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

We all know it was within the written rules...

4. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

I wonder every Bucs game is going to end like this.

5. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

hope not. talk about a targeted team. then there would have to be more rule changes. Can't tackle the last 30 seconds of a game and stuff like that.

6. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Was very surprised that hit by Kenny P wasn't flagged. That is how football is meant to be played.

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

i have only heard two players say this was bullcrap. every other one said the bucs did no wrong.

personally i hate the kneeldown. heck that make them play.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  8. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

60 minute game I always heard.

Play like you mean it or get of the field.

9. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

:icon_rolleyes:

This isn't pee-wee, or high school ball. Millions and millions of dollars are at stake every down. In 99 out of 100 similar situations prior to this last one, there has been a kneeldown with no last-minute hero tactics.

Don't defend the college coach trying to preach his whole 'play to the final whistle' crap. If it were your team and your QB got blasted and popped a knee, you sure as hell wouldn't be sitting there saying 'oh well, we should've played the full 60'.

10. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Blame Herm Edwards for the kneel down.

11. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

I hope he continues to do it.

12. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Sorry but yes I would.

The kneel down was just another example of avoiding playing the game/your opponent.

Play a full game...period. This is an adult version of a kids game. The least they could do is play it like the little kids do.

Like they say in boxing---fight thru the bell.

If a team is afraid for the health of their QB, send in a scrub to take the snap.

As far as the millions of $$s at stake? Screw 'em...

Not like I'm seeing any of it.

13. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

THANK YOU FINALLY SOMEONE I CAN MAYBE RELATE TO. I have 0 sympathy for any football players after their done and start having adverse after effects of football from colliding with other peoples bodies constantly. When you sign that contract you might as well be signing the future of your life away and all players should be freaking aware of that. You're getting paid millions of dollars to play a game that you love honestly I don't feel bad for you afterwards you signed the contract you knew the risks, you don't want to take those risks find another career.

14. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Look, I have absolutely no problem with it if it were standard procedure. If every team played 60 full minutes every game? By all means, that probably is how the game should be played.

But it isn't. And if there are unwritten rules that teams have abided by for decades, and some hot shot rookie head coach tries to flex his toughness and send his team blasting through a bunch of guys playing by that unwritten rule that has been in tact for years?

It's freaking bullcrap. Simple as that.

Others have said it, but how would the masses have reacted if, with the lead, the Giants came out five-wide, chucked a little slant to Victor Cruz and he turned it into a touchdown? All we would be hearing about is how hecked up it is running up the score.

A fanbase could lose their entire season on stupid crap like this.

It's just dumb.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  15. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

haha. did someone think there was a violation? there's no rule that says both teams have to 'give up' at a certain point.

16. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

its "unwritten" lol i have no problem with them doing it because it would have been hilarious if it worked.

17. CaptainStubing

jerry jones apparently said that lamar hunt tried to get a rule implemented that prevented the kneel down play. here's the quote:

"I don't like it," Jones said. "Lamar Hunt tried several times to introduce a rule to have it voted on that you couldn't kneel down, you had to run a play. Unless you were trying to advance the ball, then you got a penalty and the time didn't run off the clock. It's not a good play. ... I've always thought that that's a wasted play for our fans."

18. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Well Jerry just doesn't want Romo having to kneel. We all saw what happened last time he had to put a knee on the turf in a critical game situation.

19. CaptainStubing

i actually sort of like the idea of banning the kneel down. how many games 'end' with a minute or more left on the clock because all they have to do is kneel. it would make for a lot more interesting finishes.

20. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

So just call a HB/FB dive or QB sneak and go to the ground as soon as you get to the line of scrimage. It's almost the same as a kneel down.