NFL To Add A Second Game In The United Kingdom?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by mike oxlong, May 12, 2009.

1. dorotheajn

dorotheajn Special Teamer

I hope Goodell doesn't take the last two years successes as a sign that more games in London = more $$$

As someone who has been at the last two games and will be going to the next I can testify that a lot of those tickets were sold not only to fans in the UK but to fans all over Europe. Getting tickets to the first game was almost impossible, getting tickets last year was a lot easier, as was getting tickets this year. I fear that as the novelty goes down and with an increased number of games, that NFL will find it difficult to sell all the tickets.

The price of those tickets and the travel expenses makes it virtually impossible for many European fans to attend more than one game at the most and right now it is probably cheaper for most European football fans to travel to the games in the US anyway.

Besides as a Saints fan

a game in the Superdome >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> at Wembley

2. bergybones

bergybones Taking donations :)

My main issue with the games in London is the fact that teams lose a home game when they play there. This not only hurts the teams chances of reaching playoffs, yes I am big believer of home field advantage, but also takes a game away from home team fans. Does Godell plan on paying plane tickets and hotel rooms for season ticket holders of the teams that go to London to play one of their home games? Do season ticket holders get a discount due to only have 7 games at home instead of 8?

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

I hate it...I hate all the international play!!!!!

4. dorotheajn

dorotheajn Special Teamer

The Saints season ticket holders were only charged for 7 tickets last year

With regards to the home field advantage a lot depends on how it is handled. At the first game you really didn't have the home/away team feeling but last year the NFLUK, The Saints and the Louisianna Tourist Board went all out and created a Tailgating experience that was very much New Orleans themed. This continued at Wembley where battleflags and big screen announcements continued to emphasize that it was a SAINTS HOME GAME.

In the end, while being nothing like the dome, we managed to teach enough locals to shout DEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUCE whenever McAlister carried the ball and do it loud enough so that the fans back in Louisianna could hear it on the TV.

I'd still take a game in the DOME over Wembley any day

5. bergybones

bergybones Taking donations :)

Thanks for this information. At least the NFL got something right with this idea. I still dont like it though. If it was my team I would feel I was getting shafted out of a game. I mean I only get to go to 8 home games a year anyways. 8 out of 52 weeks in a year I dedicate to going to games even when my team is as bad as the Rams. To lose one of the precious games a year I get to attend bothers me. I dont know call me greedy but I want my football and I want it in my home stadium.