NFL Weekend Primer - Predictions Edition

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by Steve12, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

[​IMG]
    Did that action pic of Tebow get your attention? Good. Now don’t get used to it because that’s probably the last one you’ll see this year.

Is there any better time of year than this? Preseason is over(mercifully), the anticipation of the coming season is hanging over everything we do, everyone’s fantasy teams are still undefeated, and every team not coached by Rex Ryan has big hopes of winning the Super Bowl. We all know it’s a long season, anything can happen. Favorites will flop, underdogs will flourish, and Tim Tebow will dominate ESPN headlines from the bench. BENCH TOM BRADY!

Seriously though, I am beyond excited for this season. So what better way to celebrate the start of the 2013 NFL season than to look all the way to the end of it? This edition of the GIF Weekend Primer is a roundup of my predictions for playoff teams, playoff winners, and end-of-season award winners. Last year I picked 7/8 division winners, and the Super Bowl loser. So I guess you could say I’m kind of a big deal.
    [​IMG]

So without further ado, let’s get this show on the road. The first official regular season edition of the GIF NFL Weekend Primer. The playoff teams and seeds are loosely based on the GIF Weekend Primer - Preseason Edition records, with some small changes since that was like 4 weeks ago, right? I was so young then, so naïve.

AFC Playoff Teams
    1.Bengals
    2.Broncos
    3.Patriots
    4.Colts
    5.Chiefs
    6.Steelers

Obviously I’m very high on the Bengals this year. I think Dalton and Green will rip defenses up. And Geno Atkins should be a monster. I considered picking him for Defensive player of the year. I had the Broncos as the #1 seed, but I think Von Miller’s suspension will cost them a couple games. After watching the Patriots first team offense when Brady was in, I’m riding the homer train pretty hard right now. I’ll admit it. Especially if Gronk is healthy at the end, but I’m not counting on that. The Colts intrigue me, and I’m kinda developing into an Andrew Luck fanboy. The Chiefs have too much talent to flop like they did last year, plus I think a change of scenery will really do Andy Reid some good. The Steelers are a 50/50 team for me. They were pretty bad last year, and Big Ben has only played 16 games maybe 1 time? But they’re just one of those teams who never seem to be that bad for that long.
    Noticeably Absent: The defending champion Ravens, who I think lost too much to make another run at it this year. And with the Steelers and Bengals both improving, someone has to take a step back. Joe Flacco will play like his old regular season self, and laugh all the way to the bank.
    Close But No Cigar: The Miami Dolphins and Houston Texans. The Dolphins have a very talented team on paper. Cameron Wake is seriously a beast, and the addition of Mike Wallace as a deep threat will help. But I’m not sold Tannehill can lead a really good team. So until he proves me wrong, I have the Dolphins on the outside looking in. Texans are in the same spot, but they're trending in the opposite direction. Schaub's best days are long gone, Andre Johnson isn't the best receiver in the league anymore, and Arian Foster's health concerns are legit. The Colts are moving up, and the Texans are dropping. So it goes.

NFC Playoff Teams
    1.Niners
    2.Packers
    3.Saints
    4.Redskins
    5.Seahawks
    6.Bears

The Niners are stacked. If Kaepernick can play like he did last year this team will be crazy good. The only question is, who will he throw to? The Packers could be just as good. You can’t underestimate what the best QB in the game can do. I really think the Saints will be better than anyone thinks. They are going to be out to prove a point. The Redskins I’m not really sold on. I’m not convinced Griffin(I refuse to use his grossly overused nickname) can stay healthy. But there’s no one else in the division that I like enough to put above them. The Seahawks could be the second best team in the conference, but unlucky for them the best team is in their division. I’m confident the Bears can make strides under new coach Marc Trestman. Maybe that’s just because I listen to Chicago sports radio every day, but so be it. I think they’ll be good.
    Noticeably Absent:America's Team, the Dallas Cowboys. I know I'm viewed as the #1 Romo hater around, but I really don't think he is their biggest problem. Their biggest problem is much richer, much prouder, and about 100 years older. This team won't win as long as Jerry Jones holds them hostage. And an end to that doesn't appear to be in sight.
    Close But No Cigar: The Atlanta Falcons. Coming off a lot of wins last year and the return of Tony Gonzalez, the Falcons are left off my list. I was surprised when I realized they weren't included. I actually expect them to make it. If anything, I would swap them with the Bears. But I'm just going to stick with my predictions and wait to be made to look foolish.

Wild Card Weekend
    Patriots vs. Steelers
    Colts vs. Chiefs
    Saints vs. Bears
    Redskins vs. Seahawks

Divisional Round
    Patriots vs. Broncos
    Colts vs. Bengals
    Saints vs. Packers
    Seahawks vs. Niners

Conference Championships
    Bengals vs. Patriots
    Packers vs. Seahawks

Super Bowl
    Bengals vs. Packers
    As much as it pains me to pick the Packers(and believe me, it pains me a lot) I got them winning it all. I don’t think they’re the best team, necessarily. But I factor in the fact that Peyton historically can’t win big games, the 49ers don’t have enough receiving weapons, the Pats have too many young receivers and a still spotty defense, and I’m a little scared of buying into the Seahawks hype too much(although I really think they can make it.) And as good as I think the Bengals will be, it's tough for me to pick a team to go from bottom to top as fast as they would be going. It seems that teams usually need to get better in multiple steps. And going from bottom dweller to Super Bowl champs in like 2 years doesn't generally happen.

Now on to the award winners. Last year I got a grand total of 0 correct picks. So I’m not going to explain these here, but I’m extremely open to any conversation anyone has about any of the picks. Awards or playoff games. I’d love to hear everyone’s opinions.

MVP: Tom Brady
    OPOY: Calvin Johnson
    DPOY: JJ Watt
    CPOY: Larry Fitzgerald
    OROY: Tavon Austin
    DROY: Tyrann Mathieu
    Coach: Sean Payton

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I like your Bengals pick of winning the AFC North. I think that division could be wide open, but I do think the Bengals , right now, have the most upside. Steelers seem to be holding steady and the Ravens lost a little, but I don't think they lost as much as people think. Wouldn't be surprised to see 3 teams from the AFC North make the playoffs.

3. Steve12

Yea maybe the ravens didn't lose as much as people think. But I think they caught lightning in a bottle last year. Flacco played lights out and Ray Lewis played up his last ride. I just don't see them getting anywhere close to the same success as last year.

4. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Based on what's been said about Mathieu, I think you're right on him winning droy.

5. Steve12

Yea everything I've read about him has been stellar. Hopefully he kills it this year.

And just to update this article, Tebow has been cut by the Pats. So he may dominate headlines, but thankfully it won't be on my team.

6. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

I like your effort with this, but I just can't like this thread's predictions lol

7. Steve12

They're gold, man! Pure gold! What do you disagree with?

8. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Niners losing to Seahawks in the playoffs at home

9. Steve12

Yea I struggled with that one alot. I had the niners going all the way originally, but their wideout situation makes me hesitate. Also I want to see what Kaep can do during a full season before going nuts over him. I do understand your questioning of that one though.

10. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The NFC (L)East is a tough call. All four teams have a chance to be alive come December. The Eagles are a wild card in that division, you have no idea what to expect out of them.

Great article [MENTION=3600]Steve12[/MENTION], I am looking forward to the Primer this coming season. Keep up the great work!

11. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Nice job, [MENTION=3600]Steve12[/MENTION]. So what kind of record do you think the Chiefs will have to gain them a wild card birth?

12. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Ya I can understand the concern about the WRs. However, can you name any of the Seahawks' receivers aside from Golden Tate? I can't lol

13. Steve12

I think I have them around 10-6. In the first Primer I had them at 8-8, but that was one of them that I changed. Tons of talent on that team and if it all clicks they'll be dangerous.

Sidney Rice? Both of those guys are way better than what Kaep has to throw to. Not to mention Percy Harvin, who should be back way before the playoffs.

14. Steve12

Thanks man. :icon_cheesygrin:

Yea the NFC East was tough. Like I said, I don't think Griffin can stay healthy all season. Cousins has looked good, but I don't know if he can lead a team to many playoff wins just yet. I'm not even a little bit a believer in the Cowboys. The Eagles could go either way like you said. I think I have them around 8-8, just because I don't know what to expect. The Giants are a team that always seems to suck until the end of the season, and one of these times that has to get them left out. So I guess I get stuck picking the Redskins winning it at 9-7.

15. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

haha point taken. We'll see how it shakes out. I have my own opinion in the matter, and I'm typically pretty objective. I know Seattle will be tough though

16. Steve12

Hell yea man it's all just opinion. This is why I volunteered to write this thing every week, so I could get everyone's opinions and get some conversations going. I definitely get what you're saying, and I'm glad you took the time to read it and reply.

I'm not saying the 49ers will be a crapty team. Far from that, actually. I just feel like the game changes in the playoffs, and that's when those receivers will finally start to show as a liability. I'm just not convinced Anquan Boldin is enough to win a super Bowl with. Only time will tell though.

17. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Yeah, but OTOH Crabtree and Manningham will be back for the Niners. Plus Boldin and let's not forget that the TE tandem is vastly superior to that of the Seahawks. I can see where people come from when they shoot down the Niners hopes because of the WR situation, but I think they're overrating its overall impact. We shall see.

18. Steve12

Very good point. I don't remember how long Crabtree was supposed to be out. If he's back st full strength for the playoffs that will definitely make it interesting.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

Seattle
    Arizona
    San Francisco

in that order...lol.

20. Steve12

?