NFL Weekend Primer - Preseason Week 3

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by Steve12, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Huge thanks to @127 for filling in for me this week while I worked some OT. You da man.

[​IMG]

Historically, NFL teams play their starters for two or three quarters instead of a couple of series in the 3rd preseason game and if there is a greater power, let it be so. At least we may actually get a glimpse of who the Week 1 starters may be and see how they execute. One can only hope.

Because we’re still mired in the exhibition, err, preseason extravaganza I’ve decided to once again keep the Primer at two games. No need in guessing on what may or may not happen when Shanahan has already announced that he will play his starters less than usual because of the short turn-around time. So much for historicals. And excuse me for using stats this week…..I gotta have something to write about during preseason.

Kansas City at Pittsburgh

Kansas City went all-in on OT Eric Fisher as the first pick in the draft and thus far in the preseason he ranks in the bottom five statistically for all OT’s. Granted the 49er’s defensive line is a true force to be reckoned with, but they made Fisher look like he was fresh out of Pop Warner. This is a big game for him, his confidence and the confidence of the Chiefs coaching staff.

Kansas City ranks dead last in passing this preseason with Pittsburgh about mid-pack. Yes, I know, 2nd and 3rd stringers account for the majority of the snaps, but Roethlisberger seems like he’s scrambled for more yards than the running backs so far. I look for the Steelers’ O-Line to finally show some signs of gelling and give time for Ben to look downfield. His counterpart, Alex Smith, played well in game 1 but fell from his orbit against SF. And will the newly acquired A J Jenkins give Reid the proof why he traded away the WR Jonathan Baldwin project? That remains to be seen but against a LeBeau defense anything can happen and the possibility is better than 50/50 with Jenkins speed. That said, Alex Smith longest pass from scrimmage so far is 17 yards.

So will the Kansas City running game kick it into gear again for them to have any chance? It’s possible, but unlikely against a defense that has only surrendered 90 yards per game thus far. We shall see.

Overall I think this game favors the Steelers should the starters play deep into the game.

San Diego at Arizona

OK…..you can stop laughing. For those of you in the East who can stay up past your bedtime and see the game, this one could be entertaining.

All signs point to Arizona blowing out the Chargers as Philip Rivers just hasn’t got them moving downfield as well as his backups. Rookie Brad Sorenson is throwing at a 62.5% clip and has a passer rating of 118.2 in his two games. But the real surprise is the play of the two Cardinals’ rookie DB’s Tyrann Mathieu and the undrafted Sooner Tony Jefferson with Mathieu leading the team in tackles (11) and Jefferson with two picks. Should be very interesting how they do against Rivers and the Chargers go-to guy, TE Ladarius Green. Gotta love a 6’6†(Green) vs. 5’9†(Mathieu) matchup should Green visit the secondary. Overall, the Cardinals' defense has given up a total of 7 points against the Packers and the Cowboys.

I say this game could be entertaining because I think this could be the coming out party for Carson Palmer, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and the surprising rookie Charles Hawkins (who leads the team in receiving with 147 yards). Although the Chargers’ secondary is about mid-pack after 2 games, the size and athleticism of Fitz and Floyd plus the speed of 5’8†Hawkins could lead to an aerial assult, a la Kurt Warner. Just guessin’.

The running games for both teams? If the over/under is 120 yards for both teams combined, I’ll take the under. Cards big in this one.