NFLPA, NFL Could Discuss Rookie Wage Scale

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by warcrychief, Jan 5, 2010.

1. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

A rookie wage scale is among the issues the NFL and the players' union are expected to discuss during labor negotiations this week. The NFL Players Association has presented a proposal that would include redirecting money paid to rookies into veterans' contracts instead. The union's plan would have a scale or cap for how much rookies would be paid, and the 32 teams would use the money saved from those contracts on established players. As much as $200 million could wind up in veterans' pockets.

Source:Associated Press

2. falcon_91

falcon_91 Pro Bowler

I wonder what the owners will have to give up in order to get this through.

3. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Must happen. This needs to happen before anything else.

4. Flacco2MasonTD

Flacco2MasonTD ಠ_ಠ

[​IMG]
    You need look no further than ^ for exactly why this needs to get done.

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i agree with bigsexy and f2m. and in answer to falcon's question ............... i'm not sure the owners will have to give up anything because a rookie cap is going to equal more money in the veteran's pockets and they are the ones that will be voting on it.

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

Probably shorter rookie deals (4 years instead of the 5-6 years), this way the good young players can cash in sooner, which is fair. I'd imagine that is what the union would be looking for in return. Maybe even look into changing the franchise tag, at least that's what I'd look for in return. I doubt they'll get guaranteed contracts but they may try that as well.

7. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Just make it happen!

8. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Rookie salary cap is overdue

9. hermhater

hermhater Guest

lol

10. The Manster

The Manster 1st Stringer

I think there should be a rookie cap but this idea by the union will not work. The owners want to cut cost and this seems like something that the players could use to add even more.