NHL Officially Locked Out

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Mike, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

What has been written on the wall for months is now official. The NHL has imposed a league-wide lockout, the sport's second work stoppage in eight years.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman warned the players throughout this past year -- more aggressively during the labor negotiations during the past two months -- that the league intended to lock out the players if a new deal wasn't reached by midnight Saturday, when the collective bargaining agreement expired.

That deadline came and passed with little discussion and a lack of substantive talks in the waning 48-hour window to reach an agreement.

The two sides remain far apart on the core economic issues of a new deal.

ESPN.com

2. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

You'd think they'd of learned from the last one.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Freaking idiots.

4. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

one and a half feet in the grave

5. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

No one cared about the NHL before this. I don't see how they recover when its over.

6. Dragonite

They cared before the first one...

7. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Right and it never recovered from it like baseball was able to. What makes them think they'll survive another one?

8. Dragonite

Yep which is why I said you think they'd learn from the first one.

9. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

canada will riot in the streets

me meh i liked watching it sometimes not really to bummed

10. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Not really a big hockey fan but this does suck from them. I don't really know why the players and owners wait until it is officially locked out. NHL will be even less relevant than it already is, if they work something out.

11. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

yea im not a big hockey fan either but this must suck for people who like hockey. I know how they feel. the nba was in a lock out last year

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

They kind of recovered from the first one back in 1994-95 then Gretzky and Lemieux left and Lindros imploded...then the 2004-05 lockout destroyed the sport as it used to be known.

This league is pretty much on its fourth "work stoppage" since 1992. NOT GOOD.

13. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

At least the players can still go overseas and play and stuff like last time. They can still make money. The NHL is trying REALLY hard to pass MLS as the most uncared about sports league in the United States.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

It is well on its way. MLS is becoming pretty popular with the youth...they are smart gearing toward a younger fan base in hopes to grow with them. The NHL is basically just alienating themselves from their fan base (and players.).