Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by The Bitter Truth, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't mind the Dennis Dixon pick, I just think there were more pressing needs at the time. I do like the Ryan Mundy pick. He could be a nice depth player and a special teams guy. Humpal is a hard worker, very intelligent and had some great seasons with Iowa. He's a real good tackler, however, he really isn't great at one thing.

2. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

I'm 100% excited about our 1st 4 picks, after that don't really care for the other picks but hopefully one of them becomes a good player for the Steelers.

http://news.steelers.com/article/88922/

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Nice new sig crowned!! I'm working on a draft one as well!!

4. Crowned

Thanks man.. I'm liking it, Its the second coming of Plaxico Burress. :icon_cheesygrin:

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

I liked the first four picks a lot. A whole lot.

Dixon was a luxury pick taken to early in my opinion. As I stated a million times before, I'd rather had seen a CB or DL at that spot. But maybe it works out at WR for Dixon and he can be the 5th guy replacing twinkyhead Wilson (who to his benefit, could throw...)

Humpel is meh...

Mundy could be a nice special teams player but in the big scheme, I don't think either of those guys make the team in the end.

I still think they make a minor waiver pick up towards the summer.

6. Crowned

Dougerrrr can you give us some more insight on Mike Humpal based on the Iowa games you've watched??

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Please do!! :Gosteelers:

8. Hypocycloids

Hypocycloids Casey Hampton's Girl!

I love my guys' first four picks and am in absolute love with Davis. He's killer.

I used to hate Mendenhall while he served the Illini, but I'll grow to love him!!:icon_cheesygrin:

9. Crowned

I'm excited to see Willie Parker and Mendenhall share carries, they will both be more effective because of it, and its just starting to become a 2-back league. Also we can bring in Davenport for short 3rd and 4th down gains, and Moore will be a great 3rd down back.

Heres a video of the top unsigned free agent we signed Dorien Bryant.. Hopefully we can show us something as a kick returner.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/video.asp?section=football&pkey=36157

10. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

If Humpel makes the team he'll give them a hard work and give it all ya got like most Iowa draft picks do. Is he the most talented....naww....does he give it all...yeah. I'd be surprised if he did more than make the team and fill in here and there.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

I was watching that highlight real of bryant earlier today. He looks like he could be a nice little receiver. This could mean the end for Willie Reid...

So I stand pat at hoping he becomes a nice special teams player, but doubt he makes the team...

12. Crowned

I'm really interested to know how we are going to be rotating our runningbacks this season.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

Draft picks by the numbers

Here are the jersey numbers for the seven players the Steelers drafted last weekend:
    2 -- QB Dennis Dixon
    14 -- WR Limas Sweed
    29 -- S Ryan Mundy
    34 -- RB Rashard Mendenhall
    53 -- LB Bruce Davis
    55 -- LB Mike Humpal
    66 -- OT Tony Hills

The Numbers remind me of:

2 -- Brian St. Pierre
    14 -- Neil O'Donnell
    29 -- Barry Foster
    34 -- Walter Abercrombie
    53 -- Bryan Hinkle
    55 -- Jerry Olsalvsky
    66 -- Alan Faneca

14. Crowned

Both Willie and Mendenhall should both be very effective this season because neither of them have to be the workhorse.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

I hear that! If they run that pony backfield like a couple articles have said, the will be very interesting.

16. Crowned

http://news.steelers.com/article/89049/

Its nice to see they are ready to work together and make the team better as a whole! :cool:

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Rookie released
    The Steelers released their first rookie, one of their most promising undrafted players.
    Dorien Bryant, a punt returner from Purdue, failed his physical. The Steelers, who did not say why he failed, likely will sign someone to replace him.

Several NFL teams competed after the draft to sign Bryant, who is 5 feet 9, 175 pounds, and also listed as a wide receiver. The Steelers are trying to find someone to return punts and kickoffs for them, a job held last season by Allen Rossum, released this year.

Among the candidates are Mewelde Moore, signed as an unrestricted free agent from the Vikings to serve as third-down back, and wide receivers Willie Reid, Jeremy Bloom, who spent part of last season on the practice squad, and Santonio Holmes.

No. 1 pick unhappy
    Rookie halfback Rashard Mendenhall expressed some dismay over what happened to his brother, Walter, who left the University of Illinois football team recently.

Walter Mendenhall got a scholarship to Illinois in 2004 in what was regarded at the time as a package deal to get his younger brother the following year, and it worked.

"Yeah, they did not want him to return," Rashard said yesterday.

"He would have been a fifth-year senior but he is graduating from Illinois and then he will be at Illinois State, getting his one-year master's."

Mendenhall did not seem happy with Illinois nor head coach Ron Zook over the situation.
    "Yeah it upset me. But to tell you the truth, with how things were, it didn't surprise me too much because it just wasn't in our favor over there."

Faneca's number issued
    The Steelers have been known to unofficially retire certain numbers by not issuing them.
    That won't be the case for seven-time Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, who signed this year with the New York Jets as a free agent.

Rookie Tony Hills, their fourth-round draft choice from Texas, wore No. 66 yesterday.

Other rookie numbers are Mendenhall (34), wide receiver Limas Sweed (14), linebacker Bruce Davis (53), quarterback Dennis Dixon (2), linebacker Mike Humpal (55) and free safety Ryan Mundy (29).

Undrafted rookie quarterback Mike Potts of William & Mary was born in Pittsburgh and still has relatives, including grandparents, living here. His parents, who now live in Middleton, Del., are Thomas Jefferson High School graduates. He will wear No. 8.

New veterans' numbers include center Justin Hartwig (62) and running back Moore (21).

18. Crowned

I thought at first Mendenhall was unhappy with us, heck what he cares about Illinois.. Scared me!

19. Crowned

5,000 Post

[​IMG]

5,000th post

:cele09: :cele09: :cele09: :cele09: :cele09: :cele09:

20. WC Jerome

WC Jerome The poster formerly known as 'MK'!!

Congrats, crowned!! :clap:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.