Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by The Bitter Truth, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 86WARD

86WARD -

[​IMG]

1,000th POST!!!

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

So at 12:01AM tonight...

I'm hoping for:

Center - Jeff Faine
    DE - Justin Smith
    WR - Ernest Wilford

Saying good bye to Faneca and getting my good byes together for Max Starks.

[​IMG]

Well Faine is gone and as of this morning, the Steelers are somehow $799K OVER the salary cap...

I'm getting a feeling that this is going to be a bad off-season and LOOOOOOONNNNGGGGGG 2008...

:eek:hboy:

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Another free agency opens and the Steelers aren't even mentioned.. this is getting old every year and no moves.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

Wilford is gone and still, the Steelers are somehow $799K OVER the salary cap...

I'm getting a feeling that this is going to be a bad off-season and LOOOOOOONNNNGGGGGG, LOOOOOOONNNNGGGGGG 2008...

:eek:hboy: :eek:hboy:

Not looking good here Boys...

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm becoming a little bit discouraged...not even a whisper on Day Two...

6. Crowned

Well we are over the cap... not much we can do

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Restructure...do something for crying out loud...

8. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Nothing gonna happen this year. Nothing of signifigance any way. Steelers had better make some smart draft picks this year and bring along thos young linebackers. O-line in the draft big time.....and some help at db too.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Yeah...I figured that much. They never really make a splash. I think the last BIG splash they made was Jeff Hartings and before that, the Jerome Bettis trade. I don't count Duce Staley...that was pretty much a waste.

I'd like to see them get this Ben contract done!!!

10. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

love this picture and always wondered who taught Dawkins to tackle like this....
    [​IMG]

Used to have this as my desktop background too.

11. Crowned

I just seen on ESPN Roethlisberger contract may come in at 8 years $100+ million dollars, Its alot of money but id be happy if we can lock Ben up for 8 years.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

man, now bigben really needs a big wr to help him earn that paycheck. :icon_cheesygrin:

14. Crowned

He threw 32 touchdowns without a big receiver.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Won a Super Bowl with out one too...

16. Crowned

Was looking at Mewelde Moore stats from last 4seasons since hes been in the league.. He really could be a good 3rd down back.

also he was a good receiving back which we could use on 3rd downs instead of Davenport dropping the catch.

Mewelde Moore's receiving stats

So I'd like to see Moore in some 3rd down situations and also hope he will be a good kick returner , lord knows we need one.

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Don't forget about PUNT RETURNS!!! That will be huge if he can fill that role...

18. Matt314hew

Matt314hew Mr. Impossible

Alright, well in my first post back, it has to be the Steelers of course.

First off, Ben's contract is a little high. Yeah he passed Bradshaw for TDs in a season, yeah he has lead his team to a Super Bowl and won it. The issue I have is how he hasn't really shown he can play 1 full season yet. He is great in the regular and so so in post season. Maybe this is only due to the Oline being crap the 2nd half of the season. But the Oline can't take all of the blame for everything. I think he is worth it, but 102 is a lot and could cause problems in the future.

Second thing, I really haven't been paying much attention to the FA, but i know the Steelers never make moves during this period. They like to draft their talent and mold them. When I heard of Moore being signed as a RB, i had to go look him up. He should be able to provide us with what we were missing the past 2 years. A good 3rd down man, who can also be a threat for a 3 yard dump. Is it Summer yet? Training Camp open yet?

And last thing, Lets Go Pens!

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

Matt-

Welcome Back!!! :TTW:

There are only three guys in the league last year who played a full-season at the QB position. Favre, Peyton and Brady. It's actually more rare to play a full-season than not at the QB position. That should be the least of our worries whether he misses one or two games.

I think you can blame the O-Line for a whole lot more than you thing. Ben was sacked 46 times in 2006, 47 times in 2007. The year they won the Super Bowl? 23 times and his rookie season? 30 times. You can argue that if not for Ben being "elusive" in the pocket, that he could've been sacked 70 times last season. As sad as it is, I don't think that is a drastic estimate either.

As for problems in the future, Ben's contract is VERY cap friendly. He is only guaranteed $36M (a lot I know - but compared to $102M guaranteed, not a lot) however, that money can ALWAYS be used to sign another player. Basically, the Steelers have a "Bank of Ben" that they can go to to sign a Tall WR, an OG, whatever. If Ben wants a Tall WR, they just restructure his contract, put money towards a signing bonus and free up cap space. The rest is incentives. :icon_thumright: I for one am VERY happy to have a Top 5-7 QB on the roster for the next 8 years.

Now if they can get a few OLinemen...

Moore is a good 3rd Down Back...I'm more excited for the skills he has on the Punt Return. Hopefully, he can solidify that hole that has been there since Antwan Randle El left...

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

Steelers little tight under cap collar
    Friday, March 07, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have only $1.3 million in salary cap room left after signing one free agent and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to an 8-year contract Monday.

Only the Dallas Cowboys have less room under their salary cap, yet the Steelers continue to parade free agents through their UPMC facility on the South Side. They had five visitors the past week and signed one, running back Mewelde Moore of the Minnesota Vikings.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08067/863188-66.stm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.