Packers GM Ted Thompson On Backup QB Situation: 'My Fault'

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by DaBears22, Nov 9, 2013.

1. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson places the responsibility for the backup quarterback position squarely on his own shoulders.

"If something went wrong at the backup quarterback position, it's my fault," Thompson told USA Today on Friday. "It's not somebody else's fault. It's not even one of those quarterbacks' fault. I just didn't get it worked out right."

Thompson spoke with USA Today's Tom Pelissero in a wide-ranging Q&A that touched on everything from the Packers playing through injuries, Thompson's love of scouting and even mentions Brett Favre. You can -- and should -- check out the entire interview.

Source: NFL.com

DaBears22's Take: How does that old saying go? Everyone loves their teams backup QB until they have to play. I don't think Wallace was ever supposed to play in GB considering Rodgers was a mini iron man up there. Now that Wallace isn't lighting it up with Rodgers out, perhaps any team could have found themselves in the Packers' position. Kind of surreal though that they were looking at Matt Flynn again.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Can't really blame Thompson much on this. It's been a 100 years or so since a backup was important in GB so he's bound to be a bit rusty.

3. Badger

Badger Rookie

Agree. The Packers had bigger issues though than improving their play at the backup QB position, so I cant fault him for focusing on the o-line, defense and run game before the backup QB.
    Does any team really have a good backup QB who they could plug in and expect to be great at a moment's notice?

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

People don't expect a back up QB to be great, but if they have to play a span of 5-games, I would expect them to come out no worse than 3-2. 2-2 over a 4-game span...

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

it seems the teams with franchise qb's just really don't give a crap about their back-up qb. they figure if their guy goes down, their season is done anyway.