Packers LB A.J. Hawk To Be An Every Down Player?

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by 86WARD, Aug 9, 2009.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Depending on how healthy Packers linebacker Nick Barnett proves to be after ACL surgery, the Packers could use A.J. Hawk (Buck) and Barnett (Mack) on the first two downs, and then replace them with Desmond Bishop and Brandon Chillar in passing situations or some similar combination. While Bishop has all but conceded that Hawk will beat him out for the starting position again, the fact that the Packers plan to use Bishop in some specialized role has him happy and content. "Oh yeah, most definitely. I'm really excited about that," Bishop said. "And that's kind of what I'm playing for. I don't have to be the every-down starter, the every-down linebacker. But to just get out there and get to play and contribute, I'm very excited about that." Moss said Hawk could be considered an every-down linebacker now that he is over the nagging injuries that derailed him last year. "He's back healthy again and you can see where we worked on and emphasized his pad level and his hands inside," Moss said. "He's attacked that full-speed and improved on that. "We're going to get him to pull the trigger and fire and take shots. Hawk wants to be right (in his assignment) all the time. We're going to get him focused on being a little bit more reckless like he did that rookie year when he was extremely productive. We're going to go back to him just going in there and making some things happen."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel