Packers To Start QB Scott Tolzien Next Week Vs Giants

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by SRW, Nov 10, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

When the Packers visit the New York Giants on Sunday, Scott Tolzien will become the Packers’ third starting quarterback in as many weeks, coach Mike McCarthy announced after a 27-13 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday.

Tolzien completed 24-of-39 passes for 280 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions after coming in for Seneca Wallace.

“You have to be impressed with his game management,†McCarthy added. “You’re talking about a young man who hasn’t played not only in the game with us but hasn’t had a lot of snaps at practice. His work has been really confined to the opponent’s squads. This week he was able to get snaps with the first offense. I take that back, we do give the number three some reps with the number one offense sometimes. He’s had very limited work. As any quarterback would know or any player, when you have a chance to work the plan, obviously your preparation leads you to potentially a much better performance. But not only him not working the plan, he had to manage it. We didn’t just line up in one personnel group. We went out there to win the game, so he got us in and out of personnel groups, managed the runs. They challenged him, challenged the box. They did a good job against our run game in the second half, and Scott was able to take advantage of that. Like I said, you take away the interception, I don’t know if the young man could’ve played much better.â€

Source: Scout.com

SteveRobWhatever's Take: Wallace injured his groin after one series and never returned. The Packers are falling apart at the seams of late. It's going to be very hard for them to stay afloat in the NFC playoff picture.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Not surprising at all.

He'd be my choice too.

3. SRW

Well with Wallace out it's either Tolzien or maybe it's time to make a call to Mississippi.

4. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

or a call to Houston...

5. Tarkus

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSVOnhLtCs]Houston we have a Problem - YouTube[/ame]

Don't think it'll help much at this stage. :icon_smile:

6. Badger

Badger Rookie

I think Tolzien did well all things considered. Its tough when the other guy gets to prepare all week, then gets hurt and you are supposed to jump in with little practice and get it done.
    Honestly, if the Packers are going to become a run-first team, theres few QBs who have more experience in that kind of system than Tolzien does, what with playing his college ball at Wisconsin.
    I kind of had to laugh at the comment how the Packers are falling apart at the seams. Had it not been for a few lucky breaks for the Eagles and none for the Packers, this would have been a very close game. Anyone who thinks that they are hitting the panic button in Green Bay is sadly mistaken.

7. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I thought he looked pretty good having to come in like that.

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i didn't watch this game.

on a related note, who the heck is scott tolzien?

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Tolzien wasn't terrible at all...he was actually pretty decent for coming in off the street like that.

10. SRW

[ame=http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000279193/Tolzien-22-yard-touchdown-pass]Green Bay Packers quarterback Scott Tolzien 22-yard touchdown pass - NFL Videos[/ame]

11. ragman

Played college ball for the Wisconsin Badgers.

12. Tarkus

I think he makes chocolates.

Wait...that's Tobler. Nevermind...

13. ragman

He writes fantasy novels. No, wait. That's Tolkien.:icon_smile:

14. Tarkus

:laughy32::laughy32::laughy32:

15. Badger

Badger Rookie

Was a pretty decent QB in college for the Badgers. Wasnt someone who lit up the scoreboard but if you want a QB who can manage the game, hand the ball off to the running back and make some throws when you need him to, he's a decent QB.

16. ragman

SD signed him as a UFA in 2011. Played in 3 preseason games, but was released in the team's final cuts. The next day, he was claimed by SF to be the team's #3 QB behind Smith and Kaepernick. He stayed there until August of this year. In Sept., he was claimed by GB.

17. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

The cheeseheads are toast without Rodgers.