Panthers Select QB Jimmy Clausen (2nd Rd, No. 48)

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by SRW, Apr 23, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

With the 48th overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers select Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen. While he doesn't have a single feature you can point too, like a huge arm, or great mobility, there are very few holes in his game, and his intangibles are really off the charts. It's like he does everything really well but nothing really exceptional, and in this NFL you need guys without big flaws. The speed of the NFL game looks to be the one thing Clausen will have to contend with, but he should be able to adjust.

Source: DraftBoardInsider.com

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. Nukleopatra

Nukleopatra International Thing.

I already saw this coming - I'm proud of you, Jimmy.

Now you can fall on your ass, on a decent team.

3. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Suddenly doesn't look so sharp for my guy Matt Moore

4. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Matt is probably steaming at being led on by the Panthers

5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Mmmm I wouldn't be too worried if I was Moore. He's a good qb IMO (albeit not that experienced) that the Panthers have shown they believe in as their starter, and it's not exactly like they went out and traded up for a qb to replace him. Having Clausen in front of you at that point in the draft would be hard for anyone to pass on if you have any kind of question at all about your qb situation. Now they have insurance if Moore doesn't work out as expected, they have someone to push him harder to make sure he does works out as expected, and worst-case if he still bombs, they should have a capable replacement. In a couple years if they are both progressing nicely along, they'll then have the luxury of trading one of them for a greater need.

I think it's a good place for Clausen as well, as he can start out on the bench and pick up the NFL game at a more leisurely pace without crazy pressure to perform well from the jump, which should benefit his chances in the long run.

6. G Killette

G Killette Rookie

I'm good with it. We fell in a weird spot need WR2 badly. That is really what I was looking for him to take. No way Hurney could turn Clausen down. The thing I would watch is whether or not Tyke Tolbert makes a sincere difference with the WR's we have in the stable. This pick could mean that the confidence is there for him to do just that.

7. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Clausen was too good to pass up at that point. The Panthers almost had to bite with their current QB situation.