Patriots QB Tom Brady Says M.V.P. Award "Doesn't Make A Lot Of Sense"

Discussion in 'New England Patriots' started by BigBlueBruiser, Dec 27, 2010.

1. From snowy Rochester, N.Y., Patriots QB Tom Brady called in to WEEI Radio for his weekly interview with the Dennis & Callahan Show. Brady was asked for his thoughts on a potential MVP award. "My feeling always is, the most valuable player award in a team sport doesn’t make a lot of sense," Brady told WEEI Radio. "I can understand the most valuable golfer or something like that. But Michael Vick is a hell of a player, the best player for that team. He fits what they do. Peyton Manning fits what his team does well. Unfortunately, it’s really a quarterback award, even though there’s a lot of great players that really don’t get recognition, so many great players in this league. I don’t know, I guess they have to do it like that. But the only award I ever cared about is a Super Bowl ring."

Source: Boston Herald

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

From a lot of players I would call bullcrap. Not from him though.

1 person likes this.
  3. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

He's made the statement about winning Super Bowls as the only award that means any thing to him a couple of times, and I believe him. I also agree on the MVP being a poor substitute to liviting a Lombardi over your head. I really want that 4th badly to join the great teams that have won that many. It's a super elite group that has done that, and would like to see Brady get the recoginition that comes with that ahievement.

4. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

there isnt enough RB's or Defesive players chosen as 2 why it doesnt matter so much. just a popular pick award.

5. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

Brady is the man!!

6. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

He didn't say "I love c**k" ? Phigles will be disappointed.

7. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

The thing about it that doesn't make sense is, some people seem to think that it's the Most Valuable Player to Your Team Award. It's not. It's the League's Most Valuable Player Award. It should have nothing to do with how good/bad a team would be without a given player. If that were the award then Peyton Manning would win it every year (which he almost does). Chad Pennington got a vote for MVP in '08 for that reason; someone thought his play, key in the Dolphins' ten game turnaround, warranted the MVP because of what he meant to his team. Ridiculous. For this reason, the MVP should go to Brady. Look at the numbers. 4 interceptions. Vick is right up there with him, but Brady is on FIRE with his streak of passes without a pick and accuracy. Vick gets Comeback POY award though.

8. wittgt1

wittgt1 Rookie

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  9. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I think bradynis correct any player would trade an MVP award for a SB ring IMO

10. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Guys no BS....Brady wins this number 4 and it's Tom Brady #1 all time, Montana #2...at least in my eyes. The MVP is so not important. He's got eyes on a larger prize.

11. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I agree dude plays onanother level no matter who he is throwing to...it seems like you can basicly insert anyone in there at wr Brady will make it happen ..not all qbs can function like that IMO

12. That's funny considering no player in NFL history won the M.V.P. award that played on a losing or non-playoff team. Team success will always be in equation to the M.V.P. Award.....unlike Madden.

13. SRW

Um, that's not true. O.J. Simpson in 1973:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Buffalo_Bills_season"]1973 Buffalo Bills season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

They missed out on the playoffs.

14. Then no player on a losing team won the M.V.P. :icon_cheesygrin: 9-5 is still very respectable. Plus O.J. became the first running back to rush for 2,000 yards that year.

But you get my point.....team success will always be a factor.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  15. SRW

Try again junior. Either way, at this rate Tom Brady is going to outshine them all when it's all said and done if he gets a ring this year. Let's be real about it. Without Brady? That is a .500 team at best. Brady is the glue for that team.

16. Read my prior post......junior. :icon_cheesygrin:

17. SRW

Fact, you said or. I showed otherwise. That's all it is on that.

Brady, on his way to greatness. Ever since he switched from eating Wheaties to eating Giselle it seems he was distracted but now he's like a surgeon. He's playing in godmode and it almost doesn't seem fair. The MVP is chump change for what he's after.

18. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

So, not looking this up so could be wrong, but didn't Archie Manning win on a losing team? I know he was nominated. Thought I heard that somewhere

Oh, and as much as it pains me as a Niner fan, I think another ring and you can't argue Brady is the GOAT. Right now I think it is damn close and could go either way anyways.

19. SRW

I hate when I can't enjoy greatness. Damn you Titans! Brady wins a ring and it's time for them to start molding that bust for Canton.

20. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

It's prob. already molded