Patriots Sign WR Danny Amendola To A 5-Year, $31M Deal

Discussion in 'New England Patriots' started by SRW, Mar 13, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the Patriots have reached a five-year, $31 million agreement in principle with wide receiver Danny Amendola. The new deal includes $10 million guaranteed.

Rapoport reported the Patriots have been talking to Amendola's representatives since the unrestricted free-agent negotiating period, which is probably why the team made such a low offer to Welker. The Patriots knew they had Amendola in their back pocket all along. It sure looks like they wanted the younger Amendola more. Welker's offer from New England was $10 million over two years, according to NFL.com's Albert Breer.

Source: NFL.com

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  2. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

More years and a tiny bit more dollars than what Welker got. Unfortunate. It'll remain to be seen if Amendola is worth what they intend to pay him

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

If he stays healthy he can do everything Welker did for them, and might even be able to hold onto the ball come playoff time.

4. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Brady probably knew what was going to happen long before today.

5. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Unless Walker really wanted to leave, I call this a freaking boneheaded move. Why would you not throw that contract at the guy who has an incredible rapport with the QB, who has proved himself year after year after year in the offense?

6. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Cockiness and over confidence in the BB system. Same reason they let Richard Seymour go.

I don't think Welker will be missed too much. He was more a product of the system than vice versa.

7. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

But... you still paid a different guy. It isn't like you found a cheap option in the draft. And Welker basically took less in Denver.

I see Welker getting 100 catches and over 1,200 yards with Manning throwing him the ball. The Broncos are going to be a freaking nightmare this year.

8. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

True. Maybe it was an attitude or age thing. Obviously I have no idea. I just get the feeling that BB doesn't like feeling that one guy is bigger than his system. Unless that guy is Tom Brady.

Plus if amendola works out like Welker did, he looks like an even bigger genius.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Guess after this deal you can't really say Amendola is a "poor man's Welker."

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

The only real difference between Amendola and Welker as players, other than age, has been where they've played. Amendolas been handicapped by Bradford and the Rams (and injuries, which is undoubtedly an issue), there's no doubt in my mind he steps in there and puts up Welker-level production if he stays healthy. It might be early 2012 Welker if the TEs stay on the field, but he's got the ability to be late 2012 Welker if they don't. He's got better, more reliable hands and he's much younger to boot, the Pats basically just threw Welker in a time machine set for a few years ago.

11. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

And made him made of glbutt.

12. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Your disdain for the Rams is clouding your perceptions, Walnuts.

Amendola has produced at his potential at the Rams, the reasons why the numbers haven't quite been there because he's yet to complete more than 8 games in a season. He's injury prone and not a number 1 WR, hence why the Rams let him go.

I forsee this as another one of those moves where everyone jumps on Belichick's nuts for being this grand innovator and judge of talent.

13. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

seems like a very large commitment for this guy but i'm sure brady will get him the ball a lot so maybe they will get their money's worth.

14. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Doesn't Amendola give the Pats a deep threat that Welker rarely did?

15. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

He will probably be doing the same things Welker did, except his just a little bit quicker.

16. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Welker will produce with the Broncos. He has Peyton throwing him the ball. I like Welker, and I am glad he's no longer a Patriot.

Amendola should be a good fit here, but I just don't understand why they pay him and not the man that's been in the system and dedicated like Welker was.

17. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Hell Naw.

18. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

DA is a great reciever,but he has missed 22 games the last two years has'nt he?
    they should have just kept welker,for no other reason he was brady's fave target the last 6 years.taking welker is like taking brady's security blanket is'nt it?

19. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Maybe half the time. Because the other 50% he'll be relaxing in street clothes on the sidelines.

20. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

No, Amendola averaged about 8 yards a catch before finally breaking 10 this year

Sent from my HTC Vivid