Pete Rose Has Requested His Ban Be Lifted, Commissioner Manfred Says

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by markaz, Mar 16, 2015.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

GLENDALE, Ariz. – Baseball hit king Pete Rose requested to have his ban from the game lifted, new MLB commissioner Rob Manfred revealed Monday.

“I do have a formal request from Pete. I will be in communications with his representatives,” Manfred said at a Q&A with Dodgers writers and a couple of others here.

“I'm prepared to deal with that request on its merits,” Manfred also said.

Rose was suspended for betting on baseball by commissioner Bart Giamatti in 1989, and his occasional requests of commissioner Bud Selig to be allowed back into the game were not approved, but Rose may see a potential opening for reinstatement with Manfred's appointment in January.

Selig was very close to Giamati, though it's not known how that relationship affected Selig's thinking on the matter. Manfred, a protege of Selig, has not signaled which way he may lean on the issue, if any.

Manfred said he would like to take time to review the paperwork of Giamatti and investigator John Dowd, who filed the report on Rose's betting for MLB. Rose denied for many years that he had bet on baseball, but eventually admitted he bet on baseball, and his own Reds team, while managing the Reds. [More]

http://www.cbssports.com

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Just put the man in the Hall of Fame where he belongs. Such a joke that MLB always brings up "integrity of the game" when they knew all about the use of PED's but decided to ignore it becasue its results boosted attendance and REVENUE. Hypocrisy at its finest.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

let him in the hall. no need to let him back in baseball - coaching wise - but let the guy be able to go games and maybe work in the media.